VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
181 - 200 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
No junk yards around? I could ship you one from Texas!

What is wrong with the one you have? Can it be fixed? or "fixed"?
It's damaged. The new transmission didn't have one.

Yes I had been talking with a guy for a used one for $20.
He's been too busy to help.
I will check out some junk yards to see if I can find this part.
All in good time I guess. Patience is virtue.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Hey.....
I bought that 20 lever bracket used yesterday night. Tonight I put it in, worked out easy.
Shifter is ok.
Then another thing happened. I started to tighten the engine Mont bolts. And one is really good. The other is not tightening. This is on the transmission side.
Is there a way to do this easy until summer. I was thinking of putting in a bigger bolt.
Wow so close.
Home stretch!
Just one bolt left. I also replaced another hose.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
How does the bolt look? Most of those are stretch bolts and are supposed to be replaced. I will say I re-use them and have had no issues. What bolt are we talking about here btw? On the trans mount? Mount to body, mount to bracket?
Yeah its the stretch one. Bolting downwards on transmission side. Underneath the air box.
From what i understand, I torque the bolts down to 30 lb just to be on the safe. With lock nut.
One is ok the other had no torque.
Mind you, I have used the Mont bracket from the 80km transmission that cam with it.
I still have my original one too.
I'm hoping to do the quick fix till summer. I Maybe able to put a different bolt and nut to secure it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
How does the bolt look? Most of those are stretch bolts and are supposed to be replaced. I will say I re-use them and have had no issues. What bolt are we talking about here btw? On the trans mount? Mount to body, mount to bracket?
Hey. I was using the other transmission. And from what I remember, mine was really good.
I still do have my original mounting bracket on the older transmission. It's a used part I have left. Would rather fix an alternative way?
I may have nuts and bolts, from aircraft material. Another plus is I have a friend. He works with all that kind of stuff. In his own machine shop, Tool & Die.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
I thought maybe 30 lb torque. Would be a good start with blue lock nut glue for bolts.
I did not over torque, had many lessons already.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Hey,
I did take the car out on the road today.
It drives Like a brand new car.
I went just up the street to see if I could find bolts comparable for the engine mount,
nothing. Will maybe need to order them?
It's been lots of fun. I'll put up a picture of the 2 bolts.
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Rim

Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Car

·
Registered
12,811 Posts
I time serted both of those bolts on my car. Stripped one over tightening it one day so I time serted them both. If you lived in the states I have a list of places you could check, not sure about whats avail up there in Canada. Try a hardware store, general auto parts stores are not going to have that.

Reactions: JasonW1.8T

·
Registered
12,811 Posts
Reactions: JasonW1.8T

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
I have been very busy, my kids come first. Now things are starting to settle down. I'm gonna do some more research.

I almost rethreaded the bolt hole and put another bolt in. Thought I felt like if I had taken that shortcut it may have backfired on me!

I'm gonna use new bolts when they arrive and put that mount on.

Here's a fun moment a few days ago. I'm with the wife's dad, in the car. I'm remembering how much he has complained about the car and all it's fixes. I understand most would have a problem with this. To me I see the worth of having this thing as my daily.
Then I take him for a short drive and just hold down the gas.
He's a believer now. 😆 🤣
He realized it's running very nicely.
However, all fun and games it's best to be safe and take your time!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
I thought I'd replace all. Just to be on the safe side. The bolts going into the transmission and engine looked ok. It's manly the ones on top that look bad.
I will only replace the bad ones. I'll keep the rest for later. I'd like to replace all top bolts going into the frame and brackets. The breaket holding the engine and transmission bolts look ok. It's the 4 top ones I'm more concerned with?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
I don't think I have it in me to spend that on bolts. I am of the understanding the stretch bolts are good for less error in the installation process. If I am relying on myself to make sure the bolt is tight enough, I am okay with that. The beetle I just bought had grade 8 bolts on the engine and trans mounts. Probably what came with the VR mounts.
I was thinking the same thing. Just use different bolts. Then I read so many people dropping there motor.
I believe these bolts are worth it, after all the reading.
I also drive hours a day. My work is far, and when I do construction, that's another long one.
That's ok. I'm gonna make it a strong.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
The guy said he went to change the timing belt after not replacing the bolts. The motor dropped. I have no idea if this is real.
Thought I did read about it. Who knows
I thought I was doing the Wright thing

181 - 200 of 214 Posts