VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 · (Edited)
Was about to do the installation. I went over the instructions with a mechanic he said I'd better change the fork in the transmission. The one that connects the bearing. I thought it looked ok. It's another trip to pick up tomorrow.
I'll be honest with you all, so far, it took me 6 attempts to change the timing belt. It took me 3 times to finally install the clutch properly.
I also did the seal in the transmission as well. I've done this before and the transmission is outside the car, even easier
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle brake

Automotive tire Hood Wood Gas Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim Automotive wheel system

Attachments

·
Registered
01 Golf, and Jetta, Both 2.0aeg 5 speed, also a 99 beetle about to be for sale
240 Posts
them flywheel bolts get tight.

I like that you use blue. I also use blue. well it is actually wet n wild fast dry nail polish in "basic beach"

Don't be afraid to fail, it might make you afraid to try, and if you don't try, you wont't succeed. Or some ****.

glad to see you at it in the day time with some sunshine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
them flywheel bolts get tight.

I like that you use blue. I also use blue. well it is actually wet n wild fast dry nail polish in "basic beach"

Don't be afraid to fail, it might make you afraid to try, and if you don't try, you wont't succeed. Or some ****.

glad to see you at it in the day time with some sunshine.
Yeah, its actually not that hard to do. After all that freaking out I did......with the timing belt.
However, I know how to do what I've just learned. The other fun fact, I may have to use another oil pan or find attachments, I picked out the wrong one. It fits but it needs the sensor hole covered and the return oil line dose not match?
I really was hoping to do the oil pan first because I too had so many problems trying to get at those to bolts. It's a tough spot to work on!

·
Registered
01 Golf, and Jetta, Both 2.0aeg 5 speed, also a 99 beetle about to be for sale
240 Posts
Yeah, its actually not that hard to do. After all that freaking out I did......with the timing belt.
However, I know how to do what I've just learned. The other fun fact, I may have to use another oil pan or find attachments, I picked out the wrong one. It fits but it needs the sensor hole covered and the return oil line dose not match?
I really was hoping to do the oil pan first because I too had so many problems trying to get at those to bolts. It's a tough spot to work on!
I think all the mk4 4 cylinders take about the same oil pan. I know my 2.0 pan has nothing but a drain plug. I think the 2.0 and TDI share the same pan, and the 1.8t is the only one with the oil return. Mind you I could be wrong here, I have 2.0s

maybe they didn't send the cover for that hole. Could use the one off the old pan?

I drilled one of those out once in my driveway. Good times. A ball end 5mm gets them in and out, But not to tighten and loosen. I think I ground a socket and extension up a bit last time to get at them.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
That reminds me of my shop back in 1999 when I was doing the transmission in the winter on my Rabbit MK1. Oh... minus heat or shelter. Okay, it was just a wet snow covered driveway.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
That reminds me of my shop back in 1999 when I was doing the transmission in the winter on my Rabbit MK1. Oh... minus heat or shelter. Okay, it was just a wet snow covered driveway.
I took down the tarps the first night.
Tonight I started after the kids went to bed, I put back together every under the car. Need to do the bleeding and circle check.

141 - 160 of 168 Posts