VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Clutch Based R Performance Torque Vectoring

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  gingercabrio 
#1 ·
"An ‘R Performance Torque Vectoring’ system is able to chuck anything up to 100 per cent of torque to one wheel, thanks to clutches that control the drive split between the axles and the left/right wheels."

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/th...nd-you-can-have-it-as-a-shooting-brake-wagon/

"Thanks to a new progressive technology known as R-Performance Torque Vectoring, the torque is distributed variably both between the axles and also between the rear wheels depending on the driving situation by means of selective wheel torque control."

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com...the-new-arteon-and-arteon-shooting-brake-6153

So the Arteon R will have whatever Borg's cooked up to compete with GKN's twinster. Probably assured the 8R will have it as well. I couldn't find anything on BW's website so it seems they're keeping technical information under wraps for now, and that the system is bespoke to VW. No reason it couldn't be extremely similar to the MQB 4motion clutch pack and the VAQ differential. If it doesn't come with a drift mode the hardware will already all be there for it.

I guess this means a lot of us 7R owners have to begrudgingly give the 8R a fair shake and make a serious decision instead of lazily dismissing it on the grounds of increased cost cutting and that useless outside of a showroom interior. Personally I'm letting the looks grow on me, and trying not to think it looks like a catfish with that angular front intake partition design.

How might this fit into your calculation on upgrading?

See less See more
#9 ·
Here's the claim:

"In November, the owner of my Ontario, Canada VW dealership was in Chattanooga to see the 2021 Golf R.
No pictures, as their cell phones were confiscated
These were his notes:
-the car will be a model year 2021
-now comes with a sunroof
-full LED emblem and light strip in front bumper
-limited slip differential with drift mode option
-full digital cockpit
-300+ horse power
-19" wheels
-built in Germany"

Most of these have been all but confirmed, except for drift mode and sunroof.

#5 ·
There's no technical barrier and certainly with the love the Focus RS got for its twinster system VW might be inspired to follow suit. It's worth noting BorgWarner TorqTransfer Systems AB (aka Haldex) filed a patent on a system very similar to twinster in late 2012. I can't link to the patent because this is only my third post so you have to look it up yourself - US patent office #8,296,022 "Torque vectoring device and means for its control". The time of filing would imply the system wasn't ready for the 7R and obviously VW isn't going to redesign the floorpan for a mid cycle refresh. The control scheme diagrams are extremely similar to those I've seen in unrelated VW SSPs.

I could easily see myself picking up an 8.5R if they add some physical buttons, improve the front bumper design to not look like a catfish, and make the rear look less like an SUV. Though it's less easy to see if three pedals aren't offered.

We need to complain very loudly about these issues...

#7 ·
I could easily see myself picking up an 8.5R if they add some physical buttons, improve the front bumper design to not look like a catfish, and make the rear look less like an SUV. Though it's less easy to see if three pedals aren't offered.

We need to complain very loudly about these issues...
I'm still a little bit on the fence, but I am replying to this thread because of the Tiguan R reviews popping up too with the system :
The reworked 4Motion four-wheel drive system provides outstanding traction and grip. The new torque vectoring function is able to send up to 100% of available to torque to the outside wheel during all-out cornering, instead of the 50% seen in other, less powerful Tiguan models. The result is a level of balance and cornering poise well beyond that of the standard car.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/tiguan/first-drives/volkswagen-tiguan-r-2020-review

Personally wouldn't mind trading in the 6MT for a DSG, the MK8 seats and this upgrade are positives. I still want to find out if it truly is being done via clutch, or if the brakes are still involved in the 'upgrade'.

The biggest negative is also the catfish front face, otherwise everything else I'm fine with. The DSG is fine, as the performance is there, and now that I plan a clutch upgrade and the research done, it will get me that extra bit of performance after some tuning to make it stand out a bit more

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.