VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
---------------> Not the cable <----------

My clutch pedal got soft today after i filled up with gas. Gear selection was very difficult but i got her home. Drove around the block after dinner and no way im driving to work tmmrw.
When the car is still and i rock back and forth i can select gears. When rolling(driving) almost impossible...like shifting with no clutch.

I gathered this from 'search' ....
- The arm seems to be at 9 o'clock and i can not lift it higher by hand. I can push down on the arm to 7:30 and the arm returns.....but i can only push down one to three times before it returns and i can no longer move it by hand.
When i press the clutch pedal it resets and i can push the arm down again.
92 8v with what i believe is a Auto Adjust Cable.
I hope its the cable...any ideas vortex?

Modified by grandkuba at 6:47 PM 2-12-2010

Modified by grandkuba at 7:19 PM 2-12-2010

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
get rid of the auto cable ASAP
i thought they were ok, they suck
when was the last time u did the clutch?
also, the lever seems fine if it stops at 9 which means the throwout bearing is good.
i throw in a manual cable to see if it fixes the problem since its the cheapest fix.
after that i would check the finger on the bearing.
http://www.brokevw.com best site for vw transmissions

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So today i replaced the clutch cable with a manual one and that wasn't the problem.
So what im getting is a really soft pedal and faint wur sounds with the pedal down and out of gear.
Cant select gears with engine running however i can go through the gears with the car off.
Knowledge Please.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
----->THIS

-----> Came from here

Thats part of the release bearing assembly ???
I also suspect the Rod went through the plate because it can not be pulled out with a vice-grip. I have a warranty on the tranny but it probably doesn't cover the clutch. I would like to have as much knowledge about this as possible before i talk to the warranty department. Could the one fail have caused the other to fail ?
Thanks Vortex ....any help appreciated!

Modified by grandkuba at 11:36 AM 2-13-2010

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
FV-QR

you have the same similar problem as me.. i blew my trans.. i found out i was a bit low on trans oil... first thing is check your trans fluid.. make sure it has enough.. trust me you dnt wanna go with what im going through now.. haha.. to me that sounds like your problem.. well i'm calling OUT Broke into this thread.. he is the man w/ 020 trans..

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Re: (grandkuba)

Quote, originally posted by grandkuba »
Thats part of the release bearing assembly ???

The 5th housing TO bearing bore failed, which is the chunk you've circled in the pic.
The bearing has also come apart... look at the cage that holds the balls, and count the spots. It should have 7 or 8 spots for balls, make sure you have all the balls. Those hardened steel balls will not get along well with the meshing gears in the trans!
The cable and arm and that actuation finger in the pic were all fine, and working as they should, and because of the leverage, they generate a lot of power. I'm not sure what failed first, the bearing or the housing... I'd have to look at the parts in person and so on to even try to make an accurate guess, and that's all it would be; a guess.
I also suspect the Rod went through the plate because it can not be pulled out with a vice-grip.

That would sure indicate that it is stuck in the punctured release plate then... at any rate, you'll have to pull it out. If it is stuck in there, you need to get it out so the trans can be removed.
Once out, you can inspect the end of it, and look for marks on the side where you just twisted and pulled it out of the punctured plate.
Could the one fail have caused the other to fail ?

It's probably impossible to say for sure which failed first... I'd be able to say with more confidence if I had the parts in front of me, but if you can supply some close pictures in good light of a few pieces, I can try to make some educated guesses on what has happened or maybe rule some things out.
Wipe the parts off, and with the broken chunk of aluminum from the housing, show me the broken edge... we're looking for stained metal. If a portion of it is stained, and some is nice and fresh, then you know it had an old crack that finally failed. If it is all shiny and clean, it is a fresh break.
Look for damage to the TO bearing once the parts are cleaned off. Make sure you have all the balls accounted for (always good advice no matter the situation, frankly) and get some pics of the parts of the bearing... make note of any pieces of metal or plastic you might find in the grease or oil.
You can email them to me if you like or post them here... the more the better. I often find things in the pics I didn't notice when taking them.
How much oil came out, and what did it look like?
Sometimes 5th housings have cracks in them in that TO bearing bore, and I've missed them before when taking one apart and looking it over, but have found it later (usually during the cleaning process) prior to building the trans.
If it is something that had an old crack, you'd be in a better position to have them cover the repair.
If I were in either position (the builder or the owner) my biggest concern would be the TO bearing balls. If they can't be accounted for and are in the trans.... you either leave them and hope the magnet works well, or you open the box to find them. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
If the parts are all accounted for, then you can just swap the 5th housings out, pop in a new TO bearing, and seal it with a new green end cap and be done with the trans most likely. You might want to check the pushrod bushing if the rod did go through the plate... if the bushing is worn, replace it and the seal, but the trans won't be too bad off if you are sure no parts got inside the box.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So i got a new tranny under warranty. The rod did not drill the plate but it was a pain to remove. Now i know my linkages could be better but i can select every gear (even reverse) with ease as i have learned to live with it for some time......except fifth.
No fifth gear .....it shifts into position but there is nothing there.
linkage problem or ?
It never ends.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Re: ---------------> Not the cable <---------- (grandkuba)

sounds like ur pressure plate isnt disengaging... maybe you blew a spring

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.