VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry but im stuck...i can't seem to unhook the cable from the pedal. Ive removed my trim panels, but can't seem to still get enough room to access the hook on the pedal. any ideas? :banghead::banghead:

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,731 Posts
Remove the instrument cluster to press the clutch pedal to the floor to gain easy access to the top of the clutch pedal and the pedal end of the clutch cable. It takes less than 10 minutes to remove the cluster.

Reach in through the cluster hole, and hook something under the clutch cable end piece. I use a Craftsman bent awl, I think Dimbulb wrote that he uses/used a coathanger (I don't know if that's really stiff enough).

While holding the hook tool, pull the clutch pedal back up. This pops the clutch cable end piece free of the clutch pedal.

Go back under the hood, and pull the clutch cable out of the car.

Install a manually adjusted clutch cable, NOT ANOTHER SELF-ADJUSTING CLUTCH CABLE.

Push the inner cable to the pedal side of the clutch cable. Feed the end of the cable into the car trying to hold the cable to the center of the hole in the dashboard until the cable outer sheath has been pressed into position on the firewall.

Go back into the car, and slowly push the clutch pedal down. With any luck the clutch cable will be laying in the groove in the top of the clutch pedal. Carefully push the clutch cable back towards the firewall, and place the clutch cable end in the higher (on the pedal) of the two holes.

Now slowly pull the clutch pedal back up while holding the clutch cable end in the top slot.

Then go under the hood, and connect the clutch lever side of the clutch cable. Now go back inside the car and step on the clutch pedal to set the end of the cable into the slot. You will hear and feel when the cable end snaps into place.

Adjust the clutch cable freeplay to 1/2" at the cable support bracket on the transmission. reassemble the car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
thanks! i got the cable swapped, wasn't too bad, just finicky...

the spring on the pedal popped out, i can't compress it enough to fit it back into place... :banghead::banghead:

aside from the spring, i have it attatched at the pedal, but there isn't enough slack at the release arm. I have a manual cable, and its extended alllll the way...

hope this isn't a bigger issue that it is

·
Registered
466 Posts
thanks! i got the cable swapped, wasn't too bad, just finicky...

the spring on the pedal popped out, i can't compress it enough to fit it back into place... :banghead::banghead:

aside from the spring, i have it attatched at the pedal, but there isn't enough slack at the release arm. I have a manual cable, and its extended alllll the way...

hope this isn't a bigger issue that it is
correct me if im wrong here, but doesnt extending a cable usually reduce slack in it :screwy:
i know when i replaced the tranny with my self adjusting cable i had to cut the rubber piece between the clutch cable and the clutch fork on the tranny to stop it from slipping under load. and no i didnt just half ass it for nothing i just did that to drive to the parts store and buy a manual adjusting cable and replace the rubber piece

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.