VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you need a new clutch cable DO NOT buy it from a dealership. The ones the dealership sell now are VERY poor quality, nothing at all like the original equipment. I just replaced my second one in 4 months, when they get hot, the outer sheath of the cable, which is all plastic, can collapse. There are good quality aftermarket ones available, for you Canadians out there, crappy tire sell a quality unit that looks almost identical to the original equipment for the same price as the dealership garbage.

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
Re: Clutch cable warning!! (ABA Scirocco)

Thanks for the heads up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I almost bought a clutch cable from the dealer, but they tried to sell my dad the self-adjust one. I got mine from Parts4vws and has worked fine since May. I hope it holds.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Re: Clutch cable warning!! (Aw614)

It's true. When I worked for a dealer parts dept., I had a friend buy a cable for his Rabbit GTI....Then another, he thought he messed it up. When he called looking for a third, I warrantied his previous cable and gave him a new one. When that one went south, I told him straight up - "These cables are crap. You can find a better one elsewhere." He did, and we're still friends. I no longer work there, and he no longer shops there either.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Re: Clutch cable warning!! (maximus_manx)

I didn't have any problem with mine and it's been 3 years,
had bad clutchfor 1 of those, and i 'ride the clutch' but am
working on it.
Never had any problems with the cable (i will be checking it more often though...)
except it didn't come with the rubber grommet for the trans and
the old one was ripped off. I STILL haven't bought one, so the cable rubs
against the trans hole, still no problem.
JINX

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Re: Clutch cable warning!! (ABA Scirocco)

YES, i had the exact same problem. except i got mine from potterman who probably got it from the dealer.
i ended up putting a used one on with a stronger sheath which appears to be holding up.
edit: the way to tell is the ones that have the green bushing for the firewall and a white plastic sheath.

[Modified by rocco2nr, 5:26 PM 8-5-2002]

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Re: Clutch cable warning!! (rocco2nr)

quote:[HR][/HR]
edit: the way to tell is the ones that have the green bushing for the firewall and a white plastic sheath.
[HR][/HR]​
Is that the good one or the bad one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts