VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flywheel chatter?? Just installed Quaife & Autotech Stage 1 w/flywheel. (tried search)

As the topic states I just got my car back from the shop today and I noticed some kind of chatter coming from the tranny. I can really hear it when Im in neutral and when I accelerate from a stop.
I saw a thread about this, but I couldnt find it (figures).
Anyways, is this chatter normal? How many poeple that have Quaifes and clutch/flywheel kits have this noise? Is it because of the flywheel?
Please help me out. Thanks in advance.
BTW, I am very happy with the Autotech Stage 1. AND, the Quaife is GREAT!

[Modified by bedes, 4:12 PM 6-4-2002]

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Re: Clutch chatter?? Just installed Quaife & Autotech Stage 1 w/flywheel. (bedes)

yes the chatter is normal...its the flywheel if im not mistaken. mine does it too. and yes..the Quaife ROCKS!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Clutch chatter?? Just installed Quaife & Autotech Stage 1 w/flywheel. (VWTornado)

PHEW! Well that is reassuring. It sure is noisy.
Im just so amazed at the Quaife. It has to be the number one most underrated mod out there.
Thanks again Peter for hooking up the GB!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Clutch chatter?? Just installed Quaife & Autotech Stage 1 w/flywheel. (bedes)

So, i have been thinking about this chatter issue with the flywheel. Its supposedly "normal", but Im still not convinced.
My guess is that that flywheels' weight isn't right. I have read about light weight flywheels before, but have never read that chatter is "normal".
Maybe I am anal, but it sounds nasty if you have ever heard one on a 1.8T.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts

I have a different 1.8t and tranny...i do however have a quaife....and I have no chatter.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Clutch chatter?? Just installed Quaife & Autotech Stage 1 w/flywheel. (scarywoody)

Yeah, but do you have a Flywheel? Thats what we are talking about.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts

Oh...well then....I have the clutchmasters stage III clutch and a balanced OEM flywheel

[Modified by scarywoody, 10:18 PM 6-3-2002]

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Re: Clutch chatter?? Just installed Quaife & Autotech Stage 1 w/flywheel. (scarywoody)

i was just thinking about this and it would make sense that it is the flywheel. If it is just a lightened OEm flywheel...since they lighten it by shaving it.....which could compromise the fit and there's your rattle.....not sure though just a thought...you'd think that an aftermarket flywheel could be made to fit properly while still weighing less than a normal one.....hmmm i'm kinda curious...you'd think if it was "normal" you would have been able to find something on it eh

[Modified by scarywoody, 10:26 PM 6-3-2002]

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I have the flywheel from Autotoech. They say that they do not shave down an OEM flywheel, so I dont know about the fit issue. It is weird though. i think Im gonna call up Autotech and speak to Ralph.
I am curious what hes gonna say..

[Modified by bedes, 4:11 PM 6-4-2002]

·
Registered
2,196 Posts

let me know what he says. i have the vr6 clutch setup comin in today with the lightened steel billeted flywheel. I dont want chatter....i hope theres no chatter....unless of course it makes a dramatic improvement on acceleration...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Re: Clutch chatter?? Just installed Quaife & Autotech Stage 1 w/flywheel. (GoGTIGo)

You shouldn't have any audible chatter. Chatter is really only something you should feel with your left foot.

[Modified by Patrick Schmidt, 8:45 AM 6-4-2002]

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Re: Clutch chatter?? Just installed Quaife & Autotech Stage 1 w/flywheel. (Patrick Schmidt)

autotech uses a lightened g60 flywheel, not a resurfaced, lightened stock 1.8t/vr6 flywheel.
i have the autotech stage II and a quaife... no chatter.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Re: Clutch chatter?? Just installed Quaife & Autotech Stage 1 w/flywheel. (flipp)

I think the term chatter is being misused in the original post.
I think the original post is regarding a rattling noise which occurs with the clutch petal out (clutch engaged) and the car is in nuetral.
My stock clutch and fly wheel make this sound, though less audible, and it is noticable when parked in a garage where the sound can deflect of the walls.
This is your flywheel rattling while no gears are engaged.

Clutch chatter is when you release the clutch pedal (engage the clutch) in gear and you can feel the clutch slipping and grabbing, slipping and grabbing etc. and it creates a chattery fealing in the drivetrain and pedal until the clutch is fully engaged.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Re: Clutch chatter?? Just installed Quaife & Autotech Stage 1 w/flywheel. (flipp)

I think the term chatter is being misused in the original post.
I think the original post is regarding a rattling noise which occurs with the clutch petal out (clutch engaged) and the car is in nuetral.
My stock clutch and fly wheel make this sound, though less audible, and it is noticable when parked in a garage where the sound can deflect of the walls.
This is your flywheel rattling while no gears are engaged.

Clutch chatter is when you release the clutch pedal (engage the clutch) in gear and you can feel the clutch slipping and grabbing, slipping and grabbing etc. and it creates a chattery fealing in the drivetrain and pedal until the clutch is fully engaged.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Re: Clutch chatter?? Just installed Quaife & Autotech Stage 1 w/flywheel. (slugII)

My clutch/flywheel/quaife/transmission is completly silent. It's even quieter since the install thanks to the Amsoil tranny fluid.

·
Registered
25,085 Posts
Re: Clutch chatter?? Just installed Quaife & Autotech Stage 1 w/flywheel. (rudyr)

the issue is the flywheel, but its not what kind you have.....its the weight of it.
if its under 10 lbs then most people report chatter

·
Registered
895 Posts
Re: Clutch chatter?? Just installed Quaife & Autotech Stage 1 w/flywheel. (Boostin20v)

I had this issue when i had my peloquin installed. If you do a search under my screen name you should find two related topics. Some people have told me it is the flywheel and Billy told me it could be my thow out bearing. I haven't noticed any problems. The tranny makes the noise only when the clutch is engaged, correct?
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=369136
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=365157

[Modified by BlownVDub, 4:53 PM 6-4-2002]

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Clutch chatter?? Just installed Quaife & Autotech Stage 1 w/flywheel. (BlownVDub)

It appears that I have caused some confusion with my original post. Let me clear up what I meant to say.
I do not have any problems with the clutch. It is buttery smooth and I couldnt be happier.
The sound that I have is indeed from the flywheel. When the car is in neutral and I rev it, I can hear a rattling sound. Also, when I accelerate from a stop I can hear it.
I am pretty paranoid about it. Why do other people who have the same products not have any sound?
Does it have to do with the install?
Im calling to speak to Ralph right now. I hope he is there.

·
Registered
895 Posts

I have the exact problem. i was paranoid for a while, too. I believe it is because the lightened flywheel is not a dual-mass flywheel.

[Modified by BlownVDub, 11:12 PM 6-4-2002]

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]autotech uses a lightened g60 flywheel, not a resurfaced, lightened stock 1.8t/vr6 flywheel.[HR][/HR]​
I think you misworded it a bit.
Autotech's flywheels are not lightened. They're billet pieces- made from scratch. You're right in that they were originally designed for the G60 though.
And good topic btw. My kit is coming in this Friday so this is good info.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts