VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to get it started The car has a new clutch master, new brake master and new clutch slave cylinder and it has had a complete flush with super blue brake fluid....i just noticed that every few times the clutch is depressed one time it will be quite a bit stiffer to press in......but when i press it again after it is stiff it will go back to normal.....the fluid level is fine...and the car shifts just fine....any ideas

· Banned
2,789 Posts
Re: CLutch Feeling Need Some Ideas...Please Help (Vr6TREK)

Well that super blue fluid will make the clutch do some wierd stuff. The people on Audizine.com complain about it a lot. I ordered some DOT 4 Pentosin from ECS Tuning and I've never had a problem. You may want to bleed the system again though.

· Registered
13,630 Posts
Re: CLutch Feeling Need Some Ideas...Please Help (schippa2)

Quote, originally posted by schippa2 »
That blue stuff is not DOT approved. Why, I don't know, but I wouldn't trust it.

Because it is blue.
S5.1.14 Fluid color. Brake fluid and hydraulic system mineral oil shall be of the color indicated:
DO3, DO4, and DO5.1 non–SBBF—colorless to amber.
DO5 SBBF—purple.
Hydraulic system mineral oil—green.

You can get amber colored Super Blue, which is the same fluid, minus the blue color. Handy to switch back and forth when flushing the system, as it makes it easier to see when the new fluid is coming through the lines. The amber colored Super Blue is DOT approved.
Broke

· Registered
335 Posts
Re: CLutch Feeling Need Some Ideas...Please Help (Broke)

Thanks for clearing that up, Broke. I just figured it was something about the characteristics of the fluid which didn't meet DOT specs.
Not to hijack the thread, but what is Hydraulic system mineral oil? I ask because just this morning I used my power bleeder to pump a load of ugly green fluid out of my clutch system... I'm guessing that's what it was. Would that kind of fluid be harmful to my clutch hydraulic system?

· Registered
13,630 Posts
Re: CLutch Feeling Need Some Ideas...Please Help (schippa2)

Quote, originally posted by schippa2 »
Thanks for clearing that up, Broke. I just figured it was something about the characteristics of the fluid which didn't meet DOT specs.
Not to hijack the thread, but what is Hydraulic system mineral oil? I ask because just this morning I used my power bleeder to pump a load of ugly green fluid out of my clutch system... I'm guessing that's what it was. Would that kind of fluid be harmful to my clutch hydraulic system?

I'm not too sure on the fluids question honestly, the Super Blue I knew about from looking into it several years ago, and finding the DOT approved Super Blue in the other color

Broke

· Registered
335 Posts
Re: CLutch Feeling Need Some Ideas...Please Help (Broke)

Does anyone know? I'm just trying to figure out if I have a problem with my clutch's hydraulic system. I've been having some excessive notchiness and some other shifting weirdness lately... I'd imagine a problem with the master or slave could cause this, as a result of damage caused by using the wrong brake fluid.
Maybe I'm going out on a limb? I dunno...
I started my own thread about this: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...d=147

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.