VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried searching for upgrades for these, but nothing so far.
Has anybody upgraded the clutch/flywheel on a tiptronic yet?
maybe a vr6 clutch?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Re: Clutch/Flywheel Upgrade for a 2003 1.8T Tiptronic?? What is there? (Bora1.8TMan)

Uhhh...well, I'm no expert on the tiptronic, but most automatic transmissions don't have a clutch/flywheel setup. They have a torque convertor, and I doubt you can upgrade it without putting in a new transmission.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Re: Clutch/Flywheel Upgrade for a 2003 1.8T Tiptronic?? What is there? (dbrowne1)

There was a rumor in this thread that Level 10 was going to start offering upgrades for the tiptronic.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks..these are the responses that I was looking for.
I am not an expert on the tiptronic either.
I just know that I'm putting a lot more power on the stock transmission than vw ever intended for.
Does anybody know if there is a quaife or peloquin lsd out for tips?

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Re: (Bora1.8TMan)

No one makes a LW Flywheel or LSD for us yet and it is rumored that a beefier Torque Converter may be in the works. The LSD is a must but IMO we are already fairly rev happy with our short final gears. A LW FW would prob be too much and I doubt the strength is an issue.
Keeping it cool is critical for any Automatic to withstand more power than it was initially designed for. Too cool can be a prob too though. That is yet another product we need researched and tested.
We have a long way to go but the last few months have been quite promising
(there just may be light ahead in the tunnel)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's good news...Is there any company that you represent??
Definitely keep me posted as to what you may find out in the near future.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Re: (Jetta_1.8Tip)

the "flywheel" you guys are refering to in the tipTronic cars is actually called a flexplate and its not even close to the weight of a LW flywheel for a manual car. Its probably, and im guessing here from personal experience holding one, about 3lbs total weight to it. i dont know about you guys, but i dont want that getting any lighter by removing material from such a thin piece already.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Re: (03Jetta1.8T)

I wasn't aware that they used such a light one already. I know not all 4cyl auto "flywheels" are that light and some people do put it lighter ones. Learning something new everyday.... I did however know we don't need to address this issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts