VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive changed the clutch slave cylinder and bled the system. It seemed to work fine then after it got cold again, the pedal stays on the floor.
Is it the clucth master cylinder on the firewall?
Your help is appreciated
Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Re: Clutch Help: Pedal to the floor and wont come back (aburchell44)

Clutch MC is on the firewall, slave cylinder is on the tranny.
After you bled it, how did it feel? Any air left in the lines? Did you bleed it at the MC or the slave or both?

·
Registered
11,712 Posts
Re: Clutch Help: Pedal to the floor and wont come back (Ron L)

Change the clutch master cylinder. When it won't come back, it's bad.
My Quattro did that, a few long minutes of tool spinning and new one installed and off I went again.
Word to the wise, don't buy a reman unit, buy it new-German.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Clutch Help: Pedal to the floor and wont come back (eurowner)

, I do have a new german one. I did find out today that you have to pump the cylinder with your hand

A bunch of times to bleed the system....
Does this sound right

·
Registered
11,724 Posts

Yes, you need to move the clutch master cylinder in and out several times to get the air out of the master cylinder, and then you should bleed air out of the rest of the system as well. Look for a bleed screw at the slave cylinder which is at the transmission. If you don't have a pressure bleeder, you'll need an assistant.
Have a small hose fitted to the bleed screw into a bottle to catch the fluid, then The sequence for bleeding is 1. Have assistant move pedal to floor, 2. Loosen bleed screw (fluid comes out), 3. Tighten bleed screw, 4. Have assistant move pedal all the way out, Keep repeating this until no more bubbles and the pedal feels right ... and keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir, because if air gets into the master cylinder, you are back to square one (and if air gets into the BRAKE master cylinder, you'll have to bleed that too! Bad news, so keep the reservoir topped off.)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Re: Clutch Help: Pedal to the floor and wont come back (GoFaster)

luckily mine fixed itself on the way to have the clutch replaced

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Clutch Help: Pedal to the floor and wont come back (83Jetta2l)

Looks like I am going to fix the clutch master cylinder. Then all cylinders will have been replaced: brake master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder and now the clutch master cylinder.

·
Registered
107 Posts

yes, it's on the firewall. i just did this over the weekend; i did my slave but my master was the one that was bad, so then i did the master.
note that if you don't bleed the system enough it can still act funky and not work, or stay on the floor. i had trouble with a power bleeder - doing it manually worked much, much better. you want to run a good two pints of fluid through there to be sure it's done right. obviously, don't let the reservoir get too low while you're doing the flush! you'll have to start all over. you can run a pint through and have it still not work right - happened to me. once the system has been flushed you may need to drive it a little bit before it gets perfect.
the clutch master cylinder is easy - disconnect the internal clip from the pedal with a flathead screwdriver (about halfway up the pedal), remove the brake line and reservoir connector (you'll probably end up pulling the white piece right from the old master cylinder to get this off - i did, that hose is stubborn.) then just unbolt the master and replace. i put a little grease on the cylinder body to prevent it from rusting like the old one did. probably not a big deal, but i did it anyway. putting the new clip into the clutch pedal is the hardest part of the process - little bugger will NOT want to seat far enough to clip in.

i found it helps a lot to move the coolant reservoir out of the way first; just pull up the black G11 piece, then undo the two weird bolt things that hold it in place.
my clutch feels a lot more solid than it did before, you really got to push on it now. it's great!

Modified by wpipoet at 10:04 AM 3-2-2004

·
Registered
182 Posts
Re: (aburchell44)

I had the same thing happen in my rocco, but then that just has a clutch cable that was broken in something like 7 spots
The tech said it was the worst looking clutch cable he'd seen in his entire life

1 - 12 of 12 Posts