VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend just bought a new 06 GTI. Its her first time with a manual and she sucks at it. she is getting used to it now. The guy at the dealer said that clutches were well over $1000 to replace. How are the stock clutches holding out on stock cars? Does anyone know how much the clutch actually should cost to replace?
Thanks for the help. By the way, the car is awesome!
Jon

· Banned
485 Posts
Re: Clutch life (autoXer)

I haven't heard of a clutch job yet. $1000 sounds right for any car in this class.
Your girlfriend bought into a great car, she'll get the hang of it. Take her on some shallow hills, driving downward, to get her used to letting it out easier. And keep her off hills going up for while (I guess that's obvious).
Hmm, now I want to take a drive.

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Re: Clutch life (Rabbit88)

Quote, originally posted by Rabbit88 »

I haven't heard of a clutch job yet. $1000 sounds right for any car in this class.
Your girlfriend bought into a great car, she'll get the hang of it. Take her on some shallow hills, driving downward, to get her used to letting it out easier. And keep her off hills going up for while (I guess that's obvious).
Hmm, now I want to take a drive.

I learned how to drive a stick on a very steep hill....Helped greatly since i got a feel for the clutch....took me a few hours and i was good to go http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
182 Posts

I haven't heard of a clutch job yet.

We replaced the clutch on our 06 GTI. We had well over 50 launches at the drag strip and 5 track days. On normal everyday driving you would not notice the clutch slipping, on hard launches you would however. Therefore I would say they hold up pretty well.

· Registered
880 Posts

Geez. Than maybe my clutch is f*cked up a little. I've definitely dropped it a mess load on the streets. Seems okay.

Unless your tranny is not letting you engage a gear, move forwards, or backwards, you're fine.

· Registered
4,761 Posts
Re: Clutch life (Spidee)

there have been a few clutches that have gone bad...one person jpics works at a dealership and got his covered under warranty....2 others however, they're clutches both failed around 5-6k miles and VW denied both warranty claims....both cars were stock but they said their clutches were "abused". so it would prolly be a good idea to let her learn on another car. oh yea the one kid said they quoted $2400 to do the clutch in his car, so be careful on what you do http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.