VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read tons and tons of archive over a span of several month. And it boils down to "get stage X kit from brand X." But then you other other people saying "I ran that and it broke after a year." Now I have tons of pressure to get da engine install and I can no longer think rationally. Help me out guys...
I'm running aba 16v turbo, port and polish head, t3/t4 @ 15-17psi, quaife. I have no idea how much power I will make. I don't race my car either. I drive it to work and school everday and only occasionally step on it to pass...only after clutch is completely engaged. I want a clutch that will last at least 50,000 miles because changing them is mad expensive. I'm also on a budget so cheapest bang for the bucks is best.
From an earlier thread I saw a suggestion for the clutchnet.com's vr6 kevlar disc. Maybe use it with a VR6 PP?

I think the disc along cost $200 but aren't kevlar suppose to last longer?
Or
Sach OEM VR6 clutch/PP kit
It's only $200 @ germanautoparts!

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Re: Clutch, need your help, pressure to buy asap as swap approaches (87GolfKart)

the stock clutch only last about 2 yrs and slips like a *****
with alot of power then exloded... the 6 button EZ loc worked great for
grip but slipping it on a daily driver w/ the hills around here it only lasted
1 yr street/strip. i am going with the kevlar or the carbon fiber clutch
disc and VR6 pp this year . defently the best bang for the buck

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Clutch, need your help, pressure to buy asap as swap approaches (REPOMAN)

So the clutchnet (kevlar) clutches are pretty good? Any advantage of carbon fiber over kevlar?

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Re: Clutch, need your help, pressure to buy asap as swap approaches (87GolfKart)

the other thing about clutchnet is that they're local, if anything fails you can go straight to the MFG. My friend lives down the street from them, went over and had his clutch for his 2.0 16v gti put together on the spot, took like 15 min iirc...
They're located in El Monte, if you're up in that neck of the woods one day stop by and talk with them. If you like what they say about their product and feel that they will back their product if things go awry, then do it. If not, then look elsewhere. Going there in person, and talking with them you can probably get any concerns or questions that you may have out of the way and figure out if their product will work for your application..

Modified by psykokid at 4:59 PM 2-14-2004

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
Re: Clutch, need your help, pressure to buy asap as swap approaches (psykokid)

talking toem on the phone is a headache barely can tell what theyr saying. but they were good about when mine was faulty and replaced it (which recently went in the car) but i might have to replace it b/c i reused the PP from it (only 900mi) and i think that when the clutch splintered it messd up parta the PP possibly and is why im getting a wierd hissing (metal rubbing metal) sound and why my clutch isnt grabbing too much better than a worn stocker

1 - 5 of 5 Posts