VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got the brake problem all sorted out. We took the GLi out for a test drive. When ever you shift gears there is a "Clunk clunk" (technical term) when the clutch engages. It doesn't sound good. Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Dave

·
Banned
3,698 Posts
a friend of mine was having a similar problem with his clutch i believe. he didnt go into detail but described it as 'the clutch ticks' or something like that. it was an aft. market clutch and apparently theyre junk. the guy who installed it said of all the clutches hes done hes done 2 of this type and both never worked right. im sorry the manufacturers name escapes me but if yours is aftermarket get an oem disc

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Re: (Rennen Sie Auto)

Quote, originally posted by Rennen Sie Auto »
what can I do to check to see if the motor mount is bad??

First of all, try engaging the clutch while in neutral and sitting still. If it doesn't clunk, it's most likely not the clutch.
Try engaging the clutch and shifting through the gears while in neutral to see if it does it....if it does it is something else in the tranny.
Grab the engine and shake it, if it moves a lot, it's a motor mount...
Another thing it could be is excessive endplay in one of the shafts in the transmission or excessive backlash in the ring and pinion. Does it do make the noise when you are driving along giving it lots of gas and then just let off the gas? If it does it's the ring and pinion

Modified by mechsoldier at 12:30 AM 6-30-2005

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.