VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '95 GTi VR6, stock 5 speed, etc. Anyway when I press in the clutch the pedal comes back slowly and the clutch seems to engage real slow as well, almost as if I was riding out the clutch, but I'm not. I have a squealing TO bearing I've been told, and the squealing seems to go away when I press in the clutch pedal. Is this problem caused by a failing TO bearing. Any ideas. The clutch is fairly new, as well as the flywheel.

·
Banned
882 Posts
i don think the t/o bearing is the "real" issue. your peddle comes back "slowly" wll lets think of what controls that. 1- the bearing does not control that. 2- what controls the release of the peddle? maybe the slave cylinder or the pressure plate.. if your t/o bearing is making noise, good replace it.. while you are there get a new clutch as well.. check to see if there is air in your slave cylinder and if the return spring on the back of the peddle is there (maybe its sticking or something) anyways i wanna know whats wrong.. if you think im full of pooh let me know.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Re: (billiethebutcher)

Quote, originally posted by billiethebutcher »
i don think the t/o bearing is the "real" issue. your peddle comes back "slowly" wll lets think of what controls that. 1- the bearing does not control that. 2- what controls the release of the peddle? maybe the slave cylinder or the pressure plate.. if your t/o bearing is making noise, good replace it.. while you are there get a new clutch as well.. check to see if there is air in your slave cylinder and if the return spring on the back of the peddle is there (maybe its sticking or something) anyways i wanna know whats wrong.. if you think im full of pooh let me know.

Right on. The way your clutch works is as follows: You push your clutch pedal which pushes a rod into your master cylinder. This causes fluid to travel through the lines at high pressure into the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is the reverse of the master cylinder. When the fluid enters the slave cylinder it pushes a rod out which engages the arm of your throw out bearing. When you release the clutch the pressure plate spring forces the rod back into the slave cylinder via the throw out bearing arm which then forces the fluid back into the master cylinder. The clutch pedal return rate is determined by several things, the strength of the spring on the pressure plate, the condition of the slave cylinder and master cylinder(is it hard to push the clutch in as well), the temperature of the fluid. So you could have a bad pressure plate, master cylinder(if the rod is binding), slave cylinder(if the rod is binding), or cold fluid.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (Mark4VR6)

I appreciate the help. I'll check these things when I have the trans out, I have to replace a leaky rear main seal. I'm also planning on going low boost fi down the road so I'll also replace the clutch as well. The spring on the pressure plate you talk about is part of the PP or a seperate 'spring'. TIA!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts