VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a mk4 with 74680 on her. Drove 160 miles to get her home.i have every record of everything ever done from certificate of origin to last oil change. No mention of clutch. It doesn't slip or anything but seems to me the peddle moves almost half way out before clutch engagement. If owned numerous manual cars and they all engage almost immediately upon lifting peddle. Now to me I think I need a clutch but if this is something that is unique to the r32 I don't want to spend the time and money to replace if I don't have to. This is my first r32 so kinda new to they mechanically. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Shouldn’t be anything to worry about.. these cars in stock form have a very easy going clutch, and what you’re describing isn’t anything I would worry about.. keep driving it and enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I have read that the clutches will last long past 76k miles. I wouldn't stress until it starts to slip. Mine was not slipping but changed only because i was doing the timing chains.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shouldn’t be anything to worry about.. these cars in stock form have a very easy going clutch, and what you’re describing isn’t anything I would worry about.. keep driving it and enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
It was soft and did engage around the half way mark. But no slipping or grinding at all. My car also has 178k on it.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I just bought a mk4 with 74680 on her. Drove 160 miles to get her home.i have every record of everything ever done from certificate of origin to last oil change. No mention of clutch. It doesn't slip or anything but seems to me the peddle moves almost half way out before clutch engagement. If owned numerous manual cars and they all engage almost immediately upon lifting peddle. Now to me I think I need a clutch but if this is something that is unique to the r32 I don't want to spend the time and money to replace if I don't have to. This is my first r32 so kinda new to they mechanically. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks.
I only yanked my clutch at 160K cause she skipped timing and "While I'm in there...." I up graded my clutch\flywheel combo. I track and Autocross which is a clutch dump each and every run. Plus I drive her like she stole some ish from me. clutch had plenty of life left....

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've just assumed its how it is lol but you can get a clutch pedal stop which reduces the throw

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
My clutch is similar, I let my friend who owns an integra drive my :R, and he said that the clutch engagement was very different. It does engage around mid point, and is pretty soft. I've also heard that the clutch pedal can get soft during hard driving, not sure what the cause of that is, maybe clutch fluid or lines?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
replace the clutch master cylinder and it will engage closer to the floor
Thanks for the feedback. I've heard a lot of different things. Watched a review from car and driver from the test drive in 04. From what they said the clutch is soft new. And a good friend of mine has a black 04 and his clutch is the same as mine. I don't really plan on driving her a whole lot. Mainly Sundays and to witw. She has a few upgrades but not a lot. When she starts slipping I will have it changed and do chain water pump and Crack pipe. Thanks again to everyone for information.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Jmk33764,
One other point about the R32 clutch ; If depressing the clutch pedal after a long steady cruise [think multi-hour highway trip] it can feel kinda weird and vague/soft. I've owned my car since new and it still behaves like that even after a new Sachs clutch and SM flywheel swap . It's nothing to be alarmed about,it's just one of the weird quirks of the car. Don't know why it's like that, but that's how it is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jmk33764,
One other point about the R32 clutch ; If depressing the clutch pedal after a long steady cruise [think multi-hour highway trip] it can feel kinda weird and vague/soft. I've owned my car since new and it still behaves like that even after a new Sachs clutch and SM flywheel swap . It's nothing to be alarmed about,it's just one of the weird quirks of the car. Don't know why it's like that, but that's how it is.
Does changing the trans fluid for something else help with pedal feel? I like that the clutch is soft for daily use, but I would like some more feedback and stiffness.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
IDK? , it has been discussed on here over the years and most owners seem to agree that their car's [stock] clutches are all weird like that,lol

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
If you want stiffer pedal feel, remove the bleeder and widen out the restriction feed hole or buy a ecs bleed block.

Also (i never did this personally) some ppl use to delete the clutch accumulator near firewall to make it more stiff as well as more faster engagement i believe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts