VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 437 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm a little nervous...

I have a 2010 GTI with 15500 miles on it. It's been APR Stage I chipped from 1500 miles. The only mods are the chip software and an S3 intercooler, nothing else. I've driving the car on a lot of road trips, but i also drive a good bit in the city in traffic every day.

This doesn't happen every time, it sort of comes and goes. Normally when it does happen, it'll happen for that entire trip. It seems to happen more when its cold, but that could be a coincidence.

What happens is when i release the clutch, just as i'm about to release it all the way at the top of the pedal, it will chirp. It sounds almost like an owl going hoooo. Sort of a highish freq resonance sort of sound and i can almost feel the resonance through the pedal. It only lasts for the length of time the clutch is at the top of the release so not long. Its pretty loud, anyone in the car can hear it no problem.

its been happening for the past 3500 miles or so. Its not really getting any more frequent, sort of hit or miss really.

I'm thinking its either some sort of clutch chatter or resonance or mabye even a heat shield or something resonating.

I had the car in before 12k for service (door alignment) and had them listen for it but of course they couldnt replicate. I'm beyond my wear and tear warranty if it is the clutch, but they said they might be able to help me out since i reported it early.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
752 Posts
mine does that too, and yes cold starts only for me.

ive been seeing its been happening to the ppl that have been chipped either stage 1 and above etc..

i'm not sure what is happening. but im sure its the clutch lol. its the beggining of your clutch slip usually. the sound is like an eeeerch kinda screech when you're letting go off the clutch.

i think its cause the clutch plate is cold and not gripping the pressure plate well enough because of the wear and tear from the chip. (lots of torque)

either get the south bend stage 3 clutch disc... or just ride it out like me. it only happens on cold mornings/starts and after the car is warmed up its fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a truck that did this. Never did find out what was causing it but I talked to a few gearheads that knew more than me and they pretty much all agreed it was most likely the throw-out bearing. Swapping out the clutch will fix this since you should be replacing that bearing at the same time. Probably not very reassuring, but that's just what my experience was.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
its the TOB. almost all of them squeak, some more than others. don't worry about it unless the pedal becomes stiff at all times; by then your TOB is shot and will fail (usually at over 100k on OEM stuff).

im not saying you do but never ride the clutch either. the clutches suck in these cars and slip easily. go with the SBC. best mod ive done.

·
Registered
709 Posts
So glad this thread was made, I have the same problem. I'm not chipped, and my car only has 10k, with an intake and catback. Ive been noticing the noise since summer, and it sounds miserable from the inside. I recently went to the dealership, and they drove my car and claimed there was no noise. However, knowing that the noise almost always occurs on an incline, I proceeded to take the techs for a ride in which I found a slope to test the noise. The noise did occur, and I repeated it 3x so they could definitely hear. On my service invoice the noise is acknowledged in print, but unfortunately I have to take my car back for Atleast a full day. I can't stand this noise, it's definitely coming fr the tranny, and I'll keep you all up to date.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am also havining a similar issue I mainly notice it when I'm in reverse. I am hearing the owl hoot as described by TXBdan, and only when the clutch isn't fully engaged.

I have also taken it to the dealer but the tech wasn't able to replicate the issue but told me it sounds like it might be a release bearing although tough to diagnose without being able to hear the noise:( I got a feeling a hand full of us will have to be budgeting for new clutch kits soooon:(

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hey bros, peep the link below. I'm having the same problem with my 6MT Passat. Car only has 12,000KM on it.

http://www.golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75474

I replicated the noise with the dealer and the dealer acknowledged that it's a problem. Apparently it's the flywheel and there's an updated part from VW.

As you guys mentioned the 'hoot'/shriek/creak/grind happens when there's load, ie. having more than one passenger, going uphill, reversing, etc..

Dealer has ordered in new parts for me and I'll be taking my car in shortly. I'll post updates once the work is done.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Just want to update everyone who may stumble upon this thread via a Google search.

It was indeed the flywheel however both the clutch and flywheel had to be replaced along with new sub-frame bolts (after removing it to drop the transmission). Those of you experiencing the creak/grind/hoot should definitely get this fixed under warranty as it's not cheap at all!

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have the exact same problem and took my car to the dealership recently. Although they acknowledged the noise and problem, they're being *******s about it and are giving me this option: They'll take apart the transmission, but if they find the clutch is worn and beat, its automatically my fault and problem, and I'll have to pay $700 just for the work with no fix. However, I can also to get a new clutch if the problem was apparently caused by me, so the total would be $1500; both prices being obviously ridiculous because my car is new and still under warranty. Nonetheless my car has only 10k miles, and I never beat on my clutch. Since other people have this issue, and my car is new, should I let them go through w/ this fix? If they find out there is a defect (which I know there is) they'll fix it all for free. However like any other stealership, they're out to make money so I'm very reluctant. Opinions?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Wow, praise Jeebus this has become a recognized problem. I've had this happening from about 10k miles and it's the exact same "whooo"ing like an owl or what-not that everyone is describing, mostly happening during cold mornings and on inclines under heavy load. I have the same story of taking it in twice (during services) under which no one could replicate it and said it wouldn't even be covered if it were a problem with the clutch.

I kinda just gave up on it and live with it.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Same problem here, I am glad to finally have an idea what might be causing that noise...

·
Registered
709 Posts
Finally got my car back today and the issue was fixed under warranty. The dealership replaced the whole clutch kit - clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, bearings, etc. On the invoice it states that a rivet was loose in the pressure plate and something else was wrong with it. I'm happy to say the noise is finally gone, and I recommend you all get it fixed before it gets worse, and keep in mind the repair itself w/o warranty is quite expensive.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Finally got my car back today and the issue was fixed under warranty. The dealership replaced the whole clutch kit - clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, bearings, etc. On the invoice it states that a rivet was loose in the pressure plate and something else was wrong with it. I'm happy to say the noise is finally gone, and I recommend you all get it fixed before it gets worse, and keep in mind the repair itself w/o warranty is quite expensive.
DingChavez, glad to hear that your car is fixed and I apologize for not responding earlier. I recommend that you find another dealer regardless of the warranty fix, as they had no business threatening you with a $700 repair cost earlier. Were they not aware that that the clutch itself was not slipping?

Anyhow I have a bad feeling that this problem will crop up again and I'll go with a South Bend Clutch Kit before the warranty is up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey guys just an update, I got my car back from the dealer and in my case the culprit was a bad slave cylinder. A damaged seal on the Slave cylinder caused it to leak oil onto the clutch and flywheel. The dealer was very good on identifying the problem and replacing all necessary parts including new clutch flywheel and revised slave cylinder :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hey bros, I just want to give an update that this noise is back for me. Same conditions as before - warm tranmission, uphill/incline starts with moderate load (passengers or AC).

I looked at the work order and the dealer didn't change the slave cylinder and I'm not even sure if they inspected it.

On another forum, one Golf owner said that it could be a bad transmission mount rubbing against the frame:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131953&page=2

I'm really stumped right now as the dealer already replaced my clutch and flywheel...

TXBDan did you ever get your car fixed?

·
Registered
63 Posts
CobraKing - Does the chirping sound only happen on pull away then go away no matter hot or cold?

If so I had the same problem in my GTI. Turned out to be the Alternator Pulley.
There is a Part number and they replace just that.

Problem was gone after that, and it's been almost 9 months no problems at all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
CobraKing - Does the chirping sound only happen on pull away then go away no matter hot or cold?

If so I had the same problem in my GTI. Turned out to be the Alternator Pulley.
There is a Part number and they replace just that.

Problem was gone after that, and it's been almost 9 months no problems at all.
Hi

Could you possibly list the part number here? Thanks.

I'd the exact same porblem and had eariler posted this in the golfmkv forum as per Cobraking's link.

·
Registered
535 Posts
rxi_rola, thank you for you input but I doubt it's the Alternator Pulley - the noise itself appears to originate from the driver's footwell area...

One of my frustrations is that I can't duplicate the noise all the time, but I do have the scenario down to a pat. When I say 'uphill start' it doesn't necessarily have to be a hill, but a slight grade.

Additionally the noise seems to happen at the 'friction point' - right where I let off the clutch and give the car gas.

A mechanic friend of mine insists that it's the throwout/release bearing - any which way I'll update this post with my findings.

1 - 20 of 437 Posts