1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
19,668 Posts
Re: Clutch Replacement (Nico.)

Quote, originally posted by Nico. »
fine tuning.

· Registered
7,372 Posts
Re: Clutch Replacement (Seattle Area) - Recommendations? (gti.jon)

Quote, originally posted by gti.jon »
Also, how much does a clutch replacement usually go for (mk4 gti vr6)? Thanks in advance.

That depends, how many miles on your car because if you're near 120,000 miles then you need chains and guides too.
So your car came with a dual mass flywheel from the factory which is pretty expensive and weaker than a solid flywheel. The best bet would be to get a solid flywheel conversion. That's going to give you better performance and it'll be cheaper.
Name: 02M 240MM STAGE 1+ CLUTCH KIT W/ FST STEEL BILLET FLYWHEEL FITS VW MK4 Golf Jetta 02-04 2.8 24v VR6 W/ 6SP, (NON R32)
that's on this page here.
http://www.fourseasontuning.com/?category=10
Then have a shop install it.
I'd call all the shops in the FAQ for a price quote.

· Registered
6,425 Posts
Re: Clutch Replacement (mechsoldier)

I.P.M. in Redmond - they warrantied the clutch work that another shop did, and they finish on time. I'm not a fan of having my car held hostage by a shop that can't mange their own schedule.

Modified by koston. at 10:36 AM 3-23-2010

· Registered
7,844 Posts
Re: Clutch Replacement (koston.)

Quote, originally posted by koston. »
I.P.M. in Redmond - they warrantied the clutch work that another shop did, and they finish on time. I'm not a fan of having my car held hostage by a shop that can't mange their own schedule.

oh snap!

· Registered
19,668 Posts
Re: Clutch Replacement (koston.)

Quote, originally posted by koston. »

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...06162
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...10318

· Registered
6,425 Posts
Re: Clutch Replacement (MEISTER)

Snap indeed. Yep, I tried to teach my wife to drive stick once. She drove for all of 5 minutes, stalled it once. If the clutch can't stand up to that, why would you expect it to stand up to shinnanegens? And yes, it very well could have been a defective part outside of the shops liablilty. Regardless, I've gotten better service for the same/less money.
You've got your biased opinion as a personal friend of the shop. I have my biased opinion after having spent >$2k as a paying customer, that had to return 3 times to get the work done right. The 3rd time, being on a Sunday, during which time I wrenched on my own car, for work I had already paid for.
edit: less imflamtory

Modified by koston. at 2:12 PM 3-23-2010

· Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote, originally posted by mechsoldier »

That depends, how many miles on your car because if you're near 120,000 miles then you need chains and guides too.
So your car came with a dual mass flywheel from the factory which is pretty expensive and weaker than a solid flywheel. The best bet would be to get a solid flywheel conversion. That's going to give you better performance and it'll be cheaper.
Name: 02M 240MM STAGE 1+ CLUTCH KIT W/ FST STEEL BILLET FLYWHEEL FITS VW MK4 Golf Jetta 02-04 2.8 24v VR6 W/ 6SP, (NON R32)
that's on this page here.
http://www.fourseasontuning.com/?category=10
Then have a shop install it.
I'd call all the shops in the FAQ for a price quote.

Got about 85,000 miles on the car now. The link you sent is for 24v I have a 12v. I saw some other clutch kits on that site though. Any other good kits with a lighter single mass flywheel? I saw one on ECS for about $440.

Thanks for all the input

· Registered
7,372 Posts
Re: Clutch Replacement (gti.jon)

Quote, originally posted by gti.jon »

Got about 85,000 miles on the car now. The link you sent is for 24v I have a 12v. I saw some other clutch kits on that site though. Any other good kits with a lighter single mass flywheel? I saw one on ECS for about $440.
Thanks for all the input

Well the 12v single mass flywheel isn't really all that heavy. The deal with the dualmass is they weigh like 24 lbs.

· Registered
4,870 Posts

Well the 12v single mass flywheel isn't really all that heavy. The deal with the dualmass is they weigh like 24 lbs.

And they are expensive too!

I would do it regardless of the mileage if the transmission is coming out, more cost effective.

Modified by 97VWJett at 9:40 PM 3-23-2010

· Registered
7,372 Posts
Re: Clutch Replacement (97VWJett)

Quote, originally posted by 97VWJett »

I would do it regardless of the mileage if the transmission is coming out, more cost effective.

True but we know how it goes in this economy. 40,000 miles is 3 years for most people, maybe four. I try to get customers to do it but if you don't have the cash and your clutch is dead what do you do.

· Registered
4,870 Posts

True but we know how it goes in this economy. 40,000 miles is 3 years for most people, maybe four. I try to get customers to do it but if you don't have the cash and your clutch is dead what do you do.

Touche

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.