VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, ever since I got the jetta, the clutch smells too much every time I do a hard launch. I have other VWs and never had this problem. Is this normal for these cars or is my clutch giving up? THe car has just 30,000 miles on it.
TIA

·
Administrator
19,745 Posts
Re: Clutch smelling bad! (luisgp)

It kinda reminds me of a joke I heard once... A guy goes to the doctor and says "My head hurts when I hit it on the wall"
The doctor says "Then don't hit your head on the wall"
The patient leaves... and follows the doctors instructions... and doesn't get headaches anymore.
It's not really funny... but your situation just reminded me of the story

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Clutch smelling bad! (LangsamKafer)

Man, to make the pointer smell like that I have to drive for 30 min. like crazy, the jetta takes just a single lauch to smell like it's going to catch fire.

·
Administrator
19,745 Posts

What do you consider a hard launch though? Are you dropping the clutch at 2k rpm? higher? Anyone else have input? I typically start around 2-2.5k rpms and let the clutch out quickly... but not a "drop" for sure, thats abuse. I've got 83k miles on my clutch, still working good... and I can't ever recall ever smelling it after spirited driving.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Clutch smelling bad! (LangsamKafer)

For example if I need to do a quick start on a red light I would rev it up to 2.5-3k and let the clutch out normally. On my other VWs that would be no problem, but the jetta starts smelling funny. Otherwise the clutch feels ok and grabs ok too, with no slipping at all.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts

Yup you need a new clutch.
my raddo started making funny smells and about three weeks later.........I was going 40 in 5th at 6k rpms the clutch slipping to hell. Off to the shop and $700 later. no stink.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts