VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Weird clutch issue today. I was sitting stopped for a little while with the car turned off -- probably 15 minutes. I fired her up, and just for the hell of it decided to do a semi-aggressive launch. So I took the rev's up to about 3500-4000 RPMs and with my clutch foot came up quick off the floor. Well to my surprise, the pedal stayed on the floor. So I pushed my foot back down on the pedal, then came off it again and it pulled back up -- accompanied by a distinct burning clutch smell.

There is definitely something going on with the clutch on these cars. I hope VW finds out what the deal is and issues a tech bulletin for it. I'd like to hear if anyone else has experienced the clutch stuck on the floor issue?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Re: Clutch stuck on floor today (cruzR32)

Quote, originally posted by cruzR32 »
Hey guys,
Weird clutch issue today. I was sitting stopped for a little while with the car turned off -- probably 15 minutes. I fired her up, and just for the hell of it decided to do a semi-aggressive launch. So I took the rev's up to about 3500-4000 RPMs and with my clutch foot came up quick off the floor. Well to my surprise, the pedal stayed on the floor. So I pushed my foot back down on the pedal, then came off it again and it pulled back up -- accompanied by a distinct burning clutch smell.

There is definitely something going on with the clutch on these cars. I hope VW finds out what the deal is and issues a tech bulletin for it. I'd like to hear if anyone else has experienced the clutch stuck on the floor issue?

the same thing happened to me with my gli. i pulled the pedal off the floor, but then a few minutes later the same thing happened again. i pulled over and found that the slave cylinder had blown. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
640 Posts
yes, i had the same problem. i hated it because every time i tried shifting, my shifts were so harsh. stupid clutch would stay on the ground and when it returned, id shift harder than normal. i have probably launched with the old clutch twice at 3500rpms, thats it, but didnt have any problems or anything, until one day all of a sudden, the clutch started to go bad. now, i have a new clutch, all underwarranty. got it at 5000 miles. at about 5700 miles, my clutch started to act the same way, but just the how the other clutch started before it went out. I dont know if clutches 'break in' but it seems that the clutch doesnt return again as easily as it used to, need to rev match more in order to not get that jerky shift feeling, and need to rev a bit more just to get off the line so that it doesnt die on me. wtf? they told me i had a faulty rod that leaked and caused everything to go out. i got all new equipment all under warranty. i wonder if they actually fixed the rod or if they put in the new clutch, flywheel, etc. without fixing it. maybe thats why its feeling likes it going out again. btw, i have never taken it to the drag strip or really raced it. on this clutch, i havent dropped the clutch or even tried a hard launch.
peter

·
Registered
18,556 Posts

A few people have had problems with the clutch slave cylinder and
had it replaced. Here's a question for you. If you let the clutch out
quickly (even while just stopped in neutral) does it return
all the way to the top instantly, or hang a little about an inch
from the top, and only returns slowly, or not at all? If it hangs, it's
a master or slave cylinder problem and needs to be replaced.
Jamie's press car last year has this problem and a couple others
since then have as well.
isn

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Clutch stuck on floor today (Daemon42)

Quote, originally posted by Daemon42 »
Here's a question for you. If you let the clutch out quickly (even while just stopped in neutral) does it return
all the way to the top instantly, or hang a little about an inch
from the top, and only returns slowly, or not at all?

OK, I just went out to the garage and tried this. I let the clutch up quickly (side stepped it actually) and it seems to pop up just fine. Did it about 20 times. However, I had previously reported that right after initial start-up in the morning, the pedal had hesitated near the top of the travel a bit on the first couple of shifts. Enough to where I could feel it popping into the bottom of my shoe.
Question for you: Do you have any sense as to whether the master/slave cylinder issue can be easily diagnosed by the dealer without having to reproduce the symptom? In other words, if I bring it in, would they be able to successfully identify an issue without having to replicate the clutch-pedal-sticking-to-the-floor issue? My concern is that since this is the first time in the 3500 miles on the car that this has happened, the odds aren't with me that it can happen on demand in the 3 minutes the dealership tech will look at it.
// Bates

·
Registered
18,556 Posts

I don't know what more the dealer can do to diagnose this. The sticking at
the top symptom is generally more common and more reproduceable.
You might have to let it go a little further until it's happening
a lot, before taking it to the dealer. Might still be a good idea
to take it in, just so you've got the issue logged, so they can't
try to blame it on something else later.
ian

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not sure if this is the same issue, but I find that when I am really going for it, my foot comes up more quickly than the clutch does. With normal driving it's fine. Only when I am driving/shifting fast, do I find this issue. Is it a big issue do you think?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (MattboyR32)

Yeah, I do think it's a big issue. The clutch is a key part of a performance car. If you want to get the most out of the car, you need a clutch that can keep up with the driver. Having to wait for the clutch to rise is a joke.

·
Registered
640 Posts
oh, and another wierd thing that happened to me was that one day i was letting my friend drive on my new car, he was shifting into second with the clutch completely depressed and he grinded. Now the kid has been driving for a long time, and its not his car, so he would not be messing around or lying to me about depressing it fully or not. anyhow, the next day, when i try to get into second, with the clutch COMPLETELY depressed, it grinded. i didnt understand how this happened or if it was possible.

·
Registered
18,556 Posts
Re: (NJVR6er)

Quote, originally posted by NJVR6er »
I don't like the sound of this thread. Damn if that happens to me Im going right down to VW and making a scene.
Just hit 1000m last night, and loving every minute of it.

Keep in mind that any production run of new cars, especially a limited run
with unique features will have some small percentage of problems.
What makes the R32 different is that an extraordinarily high percentage
of R32 owners frequent this forum (in a large part due to the fact that it
was enthusiasts here that helped bring the car to the US), so it means
we hear about *all* the problems. If 5 people in the forum have a
similar problem then that's perceived as a huge deal. But 5 out of
5000 is a pretty small percentage. That plus people don't post every
day saying how they've just been driving around without problems for
thousands of miles. We only hear when people have a problem. Any
auto enthusiast forum is going to be full of things that are wrong with
the car, no matter what car it is.
All this may be no solace to the people who are experiencing problems, but
I don't think there's any real reason for a new owner to expect
that they're going to be plagued with problems either and spend
their time looking for them, which only detracts from the enjoyment
of the car.
ian

·
Registered
942 Posts
Re: (NJVR6er)

I had this with my new 98 VR6 GTI, and it ended-up being the recoil spring that needed re-adjusted for more tension. I then had the same exact symptoms with my 03 24v VR6 GTI the day I picked-it up new from the dealership. The temps were single digit, and the clutch would hang towards the floor and the tranny would grind when trying to shift. I stopped about 5 miles from the dealer and made them send a tow truck. They bled the clutch slave and after test driving sent me on my way.
Everything seemed good at first, then about 30 miles into my trip home I was having the same issue again. I called my friend that owns the dealership and he said be careful, reach down and grab the clutch pedal, and pull up on the pedal to reset it. I did and it was fine. This guy who's family has been in the VW business since 1975, said that this is a problem that seems to pop-up periodically. Sometimes the issue is tagged as a clutch slave issue, and sometimes as a return spring issue, but that it is many times resolved just by working the clutch on newer cars. Personally I had to manually reset the clutch pedal 3 more times and then I never had another issue with that problem again. I didn't have the clutch slave re-bled or replaced, just simply re-set it.
N10S

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.