VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:

So I'm driving home from work, pull up to a stoplight, push in the clutch as usual, and it stays on the floor. You can pull it up by hand to normal position, but that doesn't solve any problems. With the clutch on the floor, the car will start. With the clutch pulled up, it will not. My dad was able to drive it to the stealership though by matching RPMs and shifting without the clutch.

The clutch has never slipped, the transmission has never popped out of gear or failed to go into a gear. I've got 117,000 on the odometer, and there were no warning signs. Any thoughts about possible problems and/or repair costs?

I'd really like to know how much people have been charged for this problem. I've been reading through the archives, and I've seen everything from $600 to $3,000, mostly in old posts about cars with very low mileage. I would much appreciate some feedback from someone who has had this happen to a car with higher mileage recently. If it's $3,000, I may just have to trade it in for what they'll give me against a MkVI or a used MkV.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Sounds like either the clutch master or slave cylinder failed. If it's the slave that failed you'll need a new clutch.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any ballpark worst- or best-case scenario dealership costs? And any suggestions from one VR lover to another about if it's worth paying thousands to fix a car that's worth a max of $7k?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I had the same symptoms and it was a bad slave cylinder. While they had the tranny dropped I had them replace the clutch at the same time and it ran me $1800 at an independent shop.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ugh. Thanks though for the estimate. I can only imagine the dealership will be extensively more expensive than that. I wish I had the knowledge to do the work myself, but I don't. I'd devalue the car further if I tried to remove the transmission on my own, having done little more to it myself than change coil packs and the oil.

So... I get to

A) take out a credit card to fix a 9 year old car

B) live the next 4-6 years with tight finances buying a new car

C) lease... spending thousands extra in the long run, and I'll still have to get a credit card or auto loan to pay to upfront costs. Unless they'll buy the car off of me in its current shape, this covering the lease fees.

None of these options are fun. I love the car so much, but I'm worried about future upcoming repairs... I've already spent $1,000 in 2011 on the airbag light. I'm still running the original radiator, alternator, exhaust, rotors, pads, A/C compressor, etc, etc. Any suggestions? The MkVI people think that I should try the repair myself... yeah right... or lease a new car, which strikes me as a giant money-waste, especially since I'll have to come up with the same amount of money upfront that would be necessary to pay someone to fix my car. Decisions, decisions. I will never sleep tonight.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Fix it yourself for the cost of the parts...

my 24v has 189k on it and still on the original clutch and modded a tad.. No major issues have come from it.. Just suspension components..
I have a friend with a 24v has about 325k on it and no major services have been done to his car... Still on original A/C Compressor, rad, fans, no issues with his car...

I know how you feel though about spending the money on the repairs..
but its easy enough work if you are somewhat mechanical..

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I see you (op) are in virginia, I'll gladly get your slave cylinder replaced under a grand if you can get the car to charlotte.

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Yeah, it's def the slave cyl. Sadly this failure causes brake fluid to leak onto the clutch, which usually destroys it. (I happen to have a feramic clutch disc and had this happen to me and we were able to save my clutch, good thing cuz it was spendy.)

This repair doesnt really include any super expensive parts, but there is a rather high amount of labor.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
sounds like the slave cylinder to me.... mine popped at ~119k miles and contaminated the clutch with brake fluid. had to drop the tranny, replace the clutch / pressure plate, & slave cylinder.

I was in the position of not having any $ left over from buying parts for my turbo build + buying a house, and basically had no option but to fix it myself. It's not too bad if you are even a little bit mechanical - I never changed a clutch before and it took me about 6 hours with a Bentley manual to successfully pull it off. If you have tools I suggest you do it yourself if you want to keep it. Tip tho: drop the subframe and get new bolts... makes dropping the 02M easy with all the room.

BUT - and it's a big but - my timing chains / guides / tensioner also needed replacing around ~119k as well.... so take that into consideration when deciding if you want to keep it or not. I wouldn't recommend messing with the timing unless you really know what you're doing.

All of that being said though if you really believe you can't do it then DON'T attempt it and make the hard choice that pretty much all VR6 owners have to make sooner or later. I definitely didn't regret my choice to keep it :thumbup:

·
Registered
410 Posts
honestly its not too bad.

i dont know much about engine rebuilds and tranny rebuilds but i can say i've done it. and with no power tools.

i worked at a vw dealership for the past year and the samething happened with my car but at 126k miles.

i purchased a stage 1+ clutch, pressure plate, and single mass 20lb flywheel, slave, and all the hardware. $750 through fourseasons. awesome clutch kit.

had the tranny taken out and had the tranny rebuilt (new 3rd and 4th gear syncro's, bolts, tranny mount bracket, special aluminum sealant, and fluids) $800.
i did most of the labor but if you had normal cost, its 4-6hrs @ $100/hr equates to $400-$600.

but im sure if you purchase the clutch and flywheel, factory spec through vw dealer, its $500 for flywheel, $250 for the clutch, $200 for the flywheel, $85 for the slave, $30 for the hardware.
grand total parts $1065

if you go throught the dealer only you pay around $1065+$400 labor= $1465
if you buy aftermarket kit and take it to vw, pay around $750+$400 labor= $1150

i think it was well worth the investment. and i really wanted to do the timing chains and a few other things while the tranny was out, but that was all the money i could pay for at the time.

good luck. keep the car. or up grade to Mkv rabbit, and do a side exit exhaust.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Get it to Jettaglis in Charlotte or someone like him, he's in the ballpark and if you don't go crazy on an upgraded clutch LSD etc., parts won't be too bad. You're gonna have a hard time selling it as it is.....get it fixed and enjoy it, fix other stuff as it comes up until you're done w/ the car and find something else you like. These cars have soul and that's why I'm still fixin mine.....
I did have to make it my backup though... got a 2.8L SAAB turbo for my daily.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My Slave cylinder went out @ 65K. Got it quoted from an independent shop and they wanted $1K for it so I did it myself. The Slave Cylinder only cost $80! People are right when they say change the clutch while you have the tranny out b/c the slave cyl is located inside the tranny housing. Whoever design it this way made our lives hell. I recommend you picking up a hayes manual, buying the parts and doing it yourself! You should have the tranny out and installed in 8 Hours :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
bentley manual is worth the money, and u can find used ones and new ones for pretty cheap. its become my bible. not that i have to look at it often, its just entertaining.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts