VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my neighbors 97 2.0 has a clutch issue that i cant exactly pinpoint
all of a sudden the clutch will no longer fully release, it will allow you to shift gears while moving but when stopped the only way to get the car in gear is to shut off the motor.
i have checked the clutch cable, pulls just as much as mine which is problem free. also fully lifted the clutch arm with a jack and no difference was made
also pulled off the green cap on the end of the trans and removed the bearing/rod and replaced them with known working pieces. the original rod in the car was slightly shorter and more worn than others i compared it to. and after swapping the pieces no difference was found.
im thinking that the problem is in the clutch itself, possibly the release plate?
i just need a little bit of advice and other options to try since we dont want to pull the trans unless we know that is the only option left.
btw the car has about 200k on it clutch has about 30k trans has somewhere around 100k

thanks for the help http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
893 Posts
Re: clutch trouble (bosoxfan455)

Does the clutch work for gears other than First when stopped?
Not rev matching your shift when your driving does the clutch does work?
If the pushrood and throw out bearing is tested good have you tried shifting to second then first? Grinding?
If the clutch works all times but stopped and from neutral to first could be first gear Syncro.
Sorry I dont have more info.

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: clutch trouble (Metho)

you cant shift into any gear when stopped and the engine running,
while driving shifting is possible but not easy
i put the car in first then turn it on and feel the clutch grabbing but not enough to stall the engine
im thinking the release plate might have a problem but i just want to check all options before pulling the trans

· Registered
893 Posts

Heard that... Yeah, if its not the T/O bearing or pushrod its going to be in the clutch assembly. If its your daily I'd plan on getting a clutch kit, pp bolts, and maybe a flywheel before you start. You can get yours resurfaced or use some emery cloth. I've done it before but It Isnt the best solution. When moneys tight it'll do.

· Registered
13,748 Posts

Replace the self-adjusting clutch cable with a manually adjusted clutch cable. A malfunctioning self-adjusting clutch cable may be the problem.
It may be too late for the clutch, but that might buy a little time, unless the clutch set is totally worn out.

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: clutch trouble (germancarnut51)

thanks for the responses guys http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
i figured it was in the clutch, either the pp broke or part of the disc broke or something inside there but rather than pull the trans only to find out the problem could have been fixed without
Quote, originally posted by germancarnut51 »
Replace the self-adjusting clutch cable with a manually adjusted clutch cable. A malfunctioning self-adjusting clutch cable may be the problem.
It may be too late for the clutch, but that might buy a little time, unless the clutch set is totally worn out.

im pretty sure the cable isnt the problem, i can watch the arm push the throwout bearing and the cable is moved the same amount as on mine which is working fine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.