VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 99.5 MKIV GLS 2.0 AEG
My clutch pedal is engaging about 1.5-2 inches from the top (foot off), and i assume this means my clutch is going out.
Exactly how hard is it to get the MKIV AEG clutch out, and put back in?
Where should i look for a new one? germanautoparts has a complete kit for like 200$. Or do i just need a pressure plate? or a will a muffler bearing do the trick
Basically, tell me what i need to buy, and the best place to do it. I've heard tell that the auto-adjusting cable sucks and i should get an manual one, or do i have a hydraulic clutch?
TIA

·
Registered
283 Posts
Re: Clutch wearing out, need help with info on new one. (sharkytm)

Your clutch isnt gone untill its gone...if you can goose it in 1st or 2nd without slip, which is very noticable, or feeling like you are going nowhere, its fine. I drove around on a bad clutch for 5K
and just nursed it. When I finally relpaced mine, I went stock. Unless you are adding gobs of HP's to your car, a SACHS clutch Kit (stock) works just fine. The kit comes with everything you need. I even chipped my car and put on a catbackand its still fine, just a light and high pedal feel. If things work ok, maybe your automatic clutch pressure cable is faulty...Im keeping mine on untill it goes.

Modified by DbMutant at 4:30 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Clutch wearing out, need help with info on new one. (DbMutant)

and how would i replace the cable?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts

As far as I know, there isn't a manual adjust cable for the mkiv units.

·
Registered
871 Posts

You have hydraulic tubes runing to your clutch. It operates off of fluid pressure. My MKIII 020 clutch runs off of a arm cable attached to a lever. No need for a cable when all you have is fluid.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts

SACHS makes a very good clutch for our car. I just had one installed in mine along with a completely rebuilt transmission.

·
Registered
24,143 Posts
Re: Clutch wearing out, need help with info on new one. (VTDUBDUDE)

Quote, originally posted by VTDUBDUDE »
You have hydraulic tubes runing to your clutch. It operates off of fluid pressure. My MKIII 020 clutch runs off of a arm cable attached to a lever. No need for a cable when all you have is fluid.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Re: Clutch wearing out, need help with info on new one. (DonL)

i dont know about mkIV ... but in my 2 mkIII's the clutch has always been a loose high engageing clutch .. i think thats the the nature of our design/ setup ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts