VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Re: clutchnet clutch disk (SCHALTHEBELKNAUF)

yup, im using it with the velocity lightened flywheel. does exactly what i wanted it to. it's a more aggressive street disc, and im using it with a stock 16v pressure plate so it doesnt kill my leg and the rest of my driveline. so far it has lasted me 15k trouble free miles. i like mine a lot.
edit: its the dual fiber disc

[Modified by rocco2nr, 7:57 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Re: clutchnet clutch disk (Patrick Schmidt)

im using a clutch net too. i asked this in the car lounge, but no one gave a good answer. how come the less surface area, the more of an aggressive clutch it is? wouldn't more surface area grab better?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Re: clutchnet clutch disk (VWzealot)

i would venture to guess because the material on the pads is metallic, unlike regular clutches. if you had it on the entire disc it would probably grab too hard, like a puck racing clutch.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Re: clutchnet clutch disk (rocco2nr)

hmmm. i kind of like that answer. ok when a company advertises their clutch as a dual friction clutch what are they talking about? doesn't the flywheel grab it on one side and the pressure plate on the other. making all clutches dual friction

·
Registered
53 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]ok when a company advertises their clutch as a dual friction clutch what are they talking about? [HR][/HR]​
what they are talking about is that the material on the flywheel side and the material on the preasure plate side are different. (asbestos on one side and kevlar on the other

·
Registered
2,555 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR] how come the less surface area, the more of an aggressive clutch it is? wouldn't more surface area grab better? [HR][/HR]​
I'll give that a shot. Pressure equals force divided by area, or P=F/A. So if you want to increase clutch pressure which increases "grab", you can either increase F (heavier springs on the pressure plate) or decrease A by using pads instead of a continuous disk. So in the case of the four puck clutch disk the area (A) is about half that of a OEM disk, so you should have about twice the pressure, or you could double the pressure plate force and then you would have a big left leg.

The equation for friction is: Friction force=Normal force x coeficient of friction. You will notice that the surface area is not in that equation, so increasing surface area does not increase friction force. Normal force is the force the the two surfaces are being pushed together with, F from the above paragraph.
Does that help?

[Modified by ValveFloat, 12:49 PM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Re: clutchnet clutch disk (rocco2nr)

quote:[HR][/HR]that disc is advertised as "dual fiber" not "dual friction". dual friction is a cheap centerforce marketing ploy, their "dual friction" disc is crap. [HR][/HR]​
Not really, I have one of Velocity's (ie. clutchnet) first Dual friction disc in my Rabbit. It has metal pucks on one side and fiber discs on the other.
hth,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.