VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the wrap-up on European stocks today on CNBC the German analyst said that poor sales of the new Golf and a very cautious outlook on what is supposed to be their "blockbuster" new car in NA (Jetta) has the stock trading lower as VW has stated they will move inventory through discounts.

· Registered
2,371 Posts
Re: CNBC Stock Report - Discounts on MKV should be coming (91 16V Jetta)

New Golf sales are not 'poor'. I love their wording and how the media hypes things.
If you look at the new competitive entires, all at lower price points, plus factor in the move of the market towards mini MPV's, etc etc etc the Golf has really held it's own all things considered. Sure, people thought it would do better, but it's hardly selling poorly.
Mixed on my feelings for the new Jetta. I think it will take some time but VW will start selling more of the new ones than launch would have you believe.

· Registered
648 Posts
Re: CNBC Stock Report - Discounts on MKV should be coming (rudyr)

In my area carsdirect.com is now showing $21,167 target price for 2.5 w/atx this is a $900 discount and $400 over what carsdirect reports for invoice.
Nothing like the discounts being advertised in Portand, but more evidence that these are going have to be discounted to sell.

· Registered
2,933 Posts
Re: CNBC Stock Report - Discounts on MKV should be coming (jeffyscott)

I think the 3000 off is hype off the dealer markup of 2000, because the prices on their site are off, no one has a jetta V with an MSRP of 28, something is up, thats below invoice, holdback, everything, no one is that stupid, or desperate.
But then again, you might have to finance with them at 10%+ to recieve that price, just like everyones mama said, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

· Registered
2,667 Posts
"Poor" is a relative term. If you expect to sell 500,000 units a year and you sell 250k, then your results might rightly be considered poor (especially if you spent the money and resources producing 500,000 units which might now take you 2yrs to recover instead of 1). However, relative to other cars in the same class 250k sales might look great! So it really depends on how define "poor". I'm inclined to go with what the target sales where relative to the numbers being delivered. Or the year-over-year results...

· Registered
562 Posts
Re: CNBC Stock Report - Discounts on MKV should be coming (CapoVWSales)

Quote, originally posted by CapoVWSales »
I think the 3000 off is hype off the dealer markup of 2000, because the prices on their site are off, no one has a jetta V with an MSRP of 28, something is up, thats below invoice, holdback, everything, no one is that stupid, or desperate.
But then again, you might have to finance with them at 10%+ to recieve that price, just like everyones mama said, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Well, they actually said in the ad that the price was $3K off $26,740 for a price of $23,740 plus lic/tax and admin fees totaling $218. If I didn't see the ad I probably wouldn't believe it either. And if I were a competing dealer I sure as hell would try to discredit it as much as possible in order to put some extra bucks into my pocket.

· Registered
24,318 Posts
Re: still beating expectations

As they say, reports that <substitute your favorite non-papal person> is dead are greatly exaggerated.
from moneyweek 11 March 2005:
"Finally, take a look at Volkswagen, says Sven Lorenz on http://www.DailyReckoning.co.uk. It may be based in one of the world’s worst economies (Germany), but it is still Europe's biggest car maker and deserves a p/e ratio higher than its current ten times."
VOLKSWAGEN EXCEEDS EARNINGS GUIDANCE:
http://media.vw.com/article_di...=9552
Also:
"Golf No 1 in Europe Again
The Volkswagen Golf is once again the most popular car in Europe.
Between January and December approximately 569,000 new Golfs were registered, more than the total vehicles sales by Toyota, Holden and Ford in Australia for 2004.
Golf has a long history of being at the top of the car sales in Europe but it relinquished the top position in 2002 and 2003. The release of the fifth generation Golf has heralded the resurgence in sales.

· Registered
268 Posts
Re: CNBC Stock Report - Discounts on MKV should be coming (CapoVWSales)

Quote, originally posted by CapoVWSales »

You are wrong!
Sorry!
The Price MSRP and discount prices were BOTH printed in the AD in Portland this past week end !
That $28K figure that you are referring to was a price someone saw on that dealer's website.
The Newspaper clearly listed MSRP as $26,740[/U].
Soon the whole country will be discounting their Jetta Vs !
We can be patient, prices will drop!

It's a win win situation for ALL !!

· Registered
3,729 Posts
Re: CNBC Stock Report - Discounts on MKV should be coming (2cv6ds21)

The dealerships in my area have boatloads of MKVs on their lots, but I have yet to see one on the street. I do a lot of walking too. I hope this won't be indicitave of how the Jettas sell. We need them to sell well.

· Registered
531 Posts
Re: CNBC Stock Report - Discounts on MKV should be coming (theskippur)

Quote, originally posted by theskippur »
The dealerships in my area have boatloads of MKVs on their lots, but I have yet to see one on the street. I do a lot of walking too. I hope this won't be indicitave of how the Jettas sell. We need them to sell well.

All my dealer has on hand is a demo. I'm not sure if it is because of poor distribution, or because they are selling them as soon as they get them. Hopefully the latter!

· Registered
1,291 Posts
Re: CNBC Stock Report - Discounts on MKV should be coming (2cv6ds21)

Quote, originally posted by 2cv6ds21 »
The Newspaper clearly listed MSRP as $26,740[/U].
Soon the whole country will be discounting their Jetta Vs !
We can be patient, prices will drop!

It's a win win situation for ALL !!

If every Jetta V starts rolling off the lots at a price about a grand behind invoice, I fail to see how this could be considered a "win" for VWoA. So, no, it's not a win for *all.*

· Registered
2,291 Posts
Re: CNBC Stock Report - Discounts on MKV should be coming (theskippur)

Quote, originally posted by theskippur »
I hope this won't be indicitave of how the Jettas sell. We need them to sell well.

For the sake of VW keeping their heads above water in the U.S., I'd like to see them sell well too. If they hadn't totally botched the exterior design, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. The car the new jetta is under its horrid exterior should be flying off dealer lots.

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Re: CNBC Stock Report - Discounts on MKV should be coming (Chico)

Quote, originally posted by Chico »

For the sake of VW keeping their heads above water in the U.S., I'd like to see them sell well too. If they hadn't totally botched the exterior design, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. The car the new jetta is under its horrid exterior should be flying off dealer lots.

Totally agree. It's not about the pricing at all. I don't think the Jetta is an overly expensive car, it just doesn't look like it should cost as much as it does. The MKIVs might end up being a better seller even though they were only a few hundred dollars less while being much more poorly equipped.
Chucking the baby-bimmer looks means you can't command baby-bimmer prices.

· Registered
497 Posts
Re: CNBC Stock Report - Discounts on MKV should be coming (00glxvr6boy)

Yep, you could not have said it better. It is all about customer perception. By ditching its unique european flavor and by targetting its Japanese competiton, VW has placed this car in a no-win situation. This appliance market segment demands high levels of reliability, affordability and dealer service - design flair, distinctveness etc be dammned. Unfortunately, VW does not have the credibility wrt to factors that make cars like the corrola ****uar, while it has simultaneously lost credibility with many VW afficianados that loved the previous Jetta. Except for a few VW apologists and individuals who have a financial stake in the success of the new Jetta, the reviews of the new Jetta have generally been lukewarm.
Quote, originally posted by 00glxvr6boy »

Totally agree. It's not about the pricing at all. I don't think the Jetta is an overly expensive car, it just doesn't look like it should cost as much as it does. The MKIVs might end up being a better seller even though they were only a few hundred dollars less while being much more poorly equipped.
Chucking the baby-bimmer looks means you can't command baby-bimmer prices.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.