VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 10 cars with the most expensive collision losses, starting with the most expensive, from 2002 to 2004 figures from the Highway Loss Data Institute:
10 cars most expensive to insure:

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
Mercedes CL
Dodge SRT-4
Subaru Impreza WRX
Jaguar XK (convertible)
Lexus IS 300
Honda S2000
Acura RSX
Nissan 350Z
Jaguar XJ

· Registered
18,478 Posts
Re: CNN: most expensive to insure (starr18t)

Quote, originally posted by starr18t »

The 10 cars with the most expensive collision losses, starting with the most expensive, from 2002 to 2004 figures from the Highway Loss Data Institute:

Old?

· Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
23,712 Posts
Re: CNN: most expensive to insure (starr18t)

I'm very surprised at the S2000. My MX-5 (as well as my older Miata) is one of the cheapest vehicles I've ever insured. It costs me less than my 337 did, and less than any of my wife's cars cost her (240 SX, I30t, 4Runner). I wonder why the S2000 is so much more expensive.

· Registered
2,729 Posts
Re: CNN: most expensive to insure (packthis)

Quote, originally posted by packthis »
What happened to the Escalate SUV.

That would make the "most stolen" list for sure. This list is "most expensive to insure", which probably has at least a little to do with the driving habits of the cars' respective owners

· Registered
2,729 Posts
Re: CNN: most expensive to insure (Seabird)

Quote, originally posted by Seabird »
My MX-5 ... I wonder why the S2000 is so much more expensive.

I think it's more than roadster vs roadster. I think it's the HIDs and prized-by-ricers seats that drive up its theft rates up. Also, from what I understand (I've never driven it myself), the rear end tends to be a little twitchy.

Modified by gas, meet foot at 3:05 PM 8-19-2006

· Registered
2021 CX-5 Turbo
8,705 Posts
Re: CNN: most expensive to insure (gas, meet foot)

I'm surprised the lexus IS300 is up there. The two big attractive things about the car that I can think of are the taillights and the engine (i.e. the supra engine, and the last japanese straight six for the NA market?). Aside from that, I'm curious how it made this list. Heck, I was thinking the RX8 or the G35C would make this list.

· Registered
17,503 Posts
Re: CNN: most expensive to insure (Seabird)

Quote, originally posted by Seabird »
I'm very surprised at the S2000. My MX-5 (as well as my older Miata) is one of the cheapest vehicles I've ever insured. It costs me less than my 337 did, and less than any of my wife's cars cost her (240 SX, I30t, 4Runner). I wonder why the S2000 is so much more expensive.

Driver demographics contributing to less crashes, therefore making it a "safer" and "cheaper" car? Just a guess.

· Registered
14,540 Posts
Re: CNN: most expensive to insure (RatRedux)

my corrado!
i pay $80 per month for it...i'm only 23 of course, but i have had no tickets, driving for 5 years, good driver discount...
my mom pays $100 per month for a '06 C230 sport, and she's had 3 tickets in like 4 years!
i have the minimum coverage and she has full coverage! i can't wait till i turn 25

· Registered
1,850 Posts
Re: CNN: most expensive to insure (maskedSONY)

Quote, originally posted by maskedSONY »
I'm surprised the lexus IS300 is up there.

It has the youngest driver demographic of any "luxury" sedan. I've seen the figures a while ago, and it was something like 29 years old (on average).

· Registered
23,372 Posts
Re: CNN: most expensive to insure (JimmyGolf)

Yeah. Although theft plays a factor, I think the higher insurance rates on several of these cars is based on how likely the driver is to wrap them around a tree. SRT-4s, Evos, and WRXs attract boy racers, for sure. But the IS attracts boy racers whose parents buy them a 'reliable Lexus' for their graduation present.
Granted I'm not an insurance adjuster, but that would be my best guess.
Mike

· Banned
7,969 Posts
Re: (Demo24)

Quote, originally posted by Demo24 »
interesting.
I only pay 220 a month for my WRX, and I'm just 17.

Only $220 a month?! That's a chunk of change compared to me! I pay $67 a month for my two cars, full coverage on the van. Cheap to insure cars, 31 yrs old and and accident free FTW!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.