VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car makes a pulsing sound when letting off the gas. It's sounds like four quick pulses in about a second. Like: Tss.Tss.Tss.Tss.
I checked the engine codes with a Vag and I got the code listed in the title.
Checking the Bentley Manual, I noticed that this valve (N249) is routed to the diverter valve, so maybe it's not letting the diverter valve vent fast enough. I plotted out block 115 and nothing looked out of order. The boost gauge shows boost holding okay and nothing looks wrong. Has anyone else had this problem??? My car is not chipped and the diverter valve is stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
197 Posts
Re: Code 17608 - Turbocharger Bypass Valve (N249):mechanical malfunction (bc5star)

I believe the N249 is the solenoid that controls the DV, correct me if I am wrong.
But, it seems the DV is probably sticking from your description. Or the diaphram is cracked in the valve. I am not certain though without actually seeing the car in person. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Re: Code 17608 - Turbocharger Bypass Valve (Foxman)

You are correct, but this time the N249 is the one that needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Re: Code 17608 - Turbocharger Bypass Valve (9VW23yrs)

Yeah, after reading his AGAIN, I understand what is happening, the DV is not being opened, so the boost is forcing its way through, thus creating the sound he is hearing. That is my theory any ways.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Re: Code 17608 - Turbocharger Bypass Valve (N249):mechanical malfunction (bc5star)

I have the exact same problem and my car is stock. They replaced a thing called "recirculating valve", but I think that's what they call the DV, but the problem is still there. I'm not too worried, because I don't feel loss of power and the noise sounds like a blowoff valve, which is cool

[Modified by traian, 6:37 PM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Code 17608 - Turbocharger Bypass Valve (traian)

Those theories sound pretty good. Funny thing is, I checked my service records and they replaced this exact part when I complained of the car hesitating after starting. I just hope there is nothing further down the line causing this valve to fail. What that could be, I don't know. I'm going to take my car to the dealer next Friday. I'll be sure to pass on what the fix is/was.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Re: Code 17608 - Turbocharger Bypass Valve (bc5star)

quote:[HR][/HR]Those theories sound pretty good. Funny thing is, I checked my service records and they replaced this exact part when I complained of the car hesitating after starting. I just hope there is nothing further down the line causing this valve to fail. What that could be, I don't know. I'm going to take my car to the dealer next Friday. I'll be sure to pass on what the fix is/was.
[HR][/HR]​
I've brought it up every time I went to servicing (3 times) but every time I get either "could not reproduce problem" or something like that. They also did a "compression test" on the motor and said there was no problem.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts

Did you get this problem resolved? What was replaced? A friend ran the VAG-COM on my car tonight and the same code was logged in my ECU. Lately I have noticed a different pitch to my DV releasing, it seems to sound "scratchier."

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Re: Code 17608 - Turbocharger Bypass Valve (Bryan S)

yes n249 is electromechanical control for the dv. not on all 1.8Ts (used to just have direct vacuum from manifold)
bentley test procedure for n249 is the same as n75...ohm-meter (25-33 ohms across the coil) in fact n279 looks just like n75.
did you check the connectors? maybe it's just disconnected....
make sure you fix this
if the dv isn't working your getting back-pressure on the turbo = http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
-scott

·
Registered
640 Posts

you know i've had the same code pop up on me 3 times and always after my hks gets stuck open i just thought that the n249 valve was the code for the dv. this is good that means this valve must be whats causing my bov to stick open from time to time. my thing was that when the valve got stuck open the boost and rpm would complete drop until i left off the gas then it would come back. i'm going to have to check up on this valve.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts

If the DV isn't opening then the pressure caused by the boost being blocked by the closed throttle plate during a high boost shift is banging against the turbo compressor and will cause a turbo failure.
Avoid boost until its fixed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: Code 17608 - Turbocharger Bypass Valve (Mr_gimble)

can anyone direct me to the N249 valve on my car so that I can fix this ASAP, I have the same issue.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Re: Code 17608 - Turbocharger Bypass Valve (Mr_gimble)

AAAAAARGHHHH!
Without the operation of the "turbo recirculating valve" (DV), your compressor will be stalled a bit by the closed throttle valve. This is a normal function of turbocharged induction, and it will not "cause turbo failure"!
Remember that the turbine speed is governed by the flow of exhaust gases over the wheel, and the resistance of the intake wheel acts as a natural governor. The wastegate limits speed by bypassing the exhaust gases past the turbocharger.
The recirculating valve was installed to allow the turbocharger to continue spinning faster on throttle transients, resulting in crisper response. This reduces the so-called "turbo lag" caused as the turbine spools up to speed again.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: Code 17608 - Turbocharger Bypass Valve (VW Bobby)

so you are saying that the turbo is fine in this state? I just got very scared by everythin above and I don't want a destroyed turbo, and my car definitely has the issue from above.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Re: Code 17608 - Turbocharger Bypass Valve (A4AL)

you need a working dv. turbo systems have either a dv or a blow-off valve or bent turbo blades from pressure shock. there is a delay between when the throttle closes and the wastegate opens, you need to vent this pressure or it bounces back into the turbo.
anyone getting a code should fix the problem.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Re: Code 17608 - Turbocharger Bypass Valve (scotty_passat)

Thanks for the info all. I contacted my dealer and explained the code I saw and have an appointment for first thing Friday morning. Of course they probably just penciled in that I was driving by with a "problem," and made no note of what I told them in preparation. Until then I'll go easy on the boost.
Tonight when I go home I'm going to measure the resistance of the solenoid, you say it should be 25-33ohms?

·
Registered
5,604 Posts

I am having the same problem as well - the fluttering noise when boost is being released. Is there a way to open up the DV to see if anything is wrong? And BTW, where IS the DV? Any pictures?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Re: Code 17608 - Turbocharger Bypass Valve (pooz01wolfsburg)

Here are some pics I attempted this evening after work of N249.
Pooz, DV is visible here, cylindrical object above my finger with the red dot. This hose exits the top of the DV...

....and down alongside the block to here.

N249 is located on the backside of this plate

The grey box is N249.

It was such a tight squeeze I couldn't get the probes on the contacts to measure the resistance. I didn't want to fark anything up since I have a dealer appt and hope to have this covered under the 10yr/100k.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.