VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 VW CC Sport - 2.0 TFSI CBFA
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. About a month or two ago I had a CEL, with a single code of P050A. There was no other indications or side effects. If the car was running in a rough idle it was very hard to perceive.

I took the throttle body off the car, bought some cleaner, scrubbed it down real good, put it back on, and the CEL went away.

A few days ago the CEL came back on, and the only code came up as P050A again.

The first time I cleaned the throttle body it wasn't even dirty (given the age of the car and use). I mean some minor "dinge" and such, but no caking or build up anywhere to begin with.

I'm wondering if the same code in less than two months with no other symptoms might mean I have to change out the throttle body? Is there a "port" or "hole" of some kind that I may have missed in my cleaning last time?

Thanks for your help and advice.

·
Registered
232 Posts
For these cars, you need a VW/Audi-specific scan tool. VCDS or OBDEleven are popular options.

If this is a 2013 model year car, you can pretty much guarantee there are lots of carbon buildup on the intake valves. Search for "carbon clean" TFSI EA888 and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I like the chemical method, CRC Intake Valve Cleaner, cuz it's cheap and worked for my 2013 A5. Some others insiste on doing a 100% clean with walnut shell blasting. Just don't waste your money paying someone to soak/scrape/scrub the intake valves clean. Walnut shell is much faster, won't cause any physical damage due to scrapping with picks and sanding, and should be a lot cheaper.

·
OBDeleven
Audi, Volkswagen, Seat, Škoda, Lamborghini, Bentley
77 Posts
Hello all. About a month or two ago I had a CEL, with a single code of P050A. There was no other indications or side effects. If the car was running in a rough idle it was very hard to perceive.

I took the throttle body off the car, bought some cleaner, scrubbed it down real good, put it back on, and the CEL went away.

A few days ago the CEL came back on, and the only code came up as P050A again.

The first time I cleaned the throttle body it wasn't even dirty (given the age of the car and use). I mean some minor "dinge" and such, but no caking or build up anywhere to begin with.

I'm wondering if the same code in less than two months with no other symptoms might mean I have to change out the throttle body? Is there a "port" or "hole" of some kind that I may have missed in my cleaning last time?

Thanks for your help and advice.
Hello, for scanning this problem you could use the OBDeleven device. Here is the product list - OBD. Take a look and maybe you will find something attractive to you :)

·
Registered
2013 VW CC Sport - 2.0 TFSI CBFA
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For these cars, you need a VW/Audi-specific scan tool. VCDS or OBDEleven are popular options.

If this is a 2013 model year car, you can pretty much guarantee there are lots of carbon buildup on the intake valves. Search for "carbon clean" TFSI EA888 and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I like the chemical method, CRC Intake Valve Cleaner, cuz it's cheap and worked for my 2013 A5. Some others insiste on doing a 100% clean with walnut shell blasting. Just don't waste your money paying someone to soak/scrape/scrub the intake valves clean. Walnut shell is much faster, won't cause any physical damage due to scrapping with picks and sanding, and should be a lot cheaper.
Thanks so much for the reply. Last time I only took off and cleaned anything attached to the throttle body, nothing past that. So this makes sense. I was hoping to not have to do this deep of work, but what can you do? LOL!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts