VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having owned numerous VW products since 1970, my heart caused me to purchase the Passat but my gut told me to get a Maxima despite the ugly rear on the latter.
Thought I would visit the Maxima thread on Edmunds to see if I was having buyers remorse since I have had a coil pack failure on my 02 Passat 1.8T. Guess what I found on the Maxima problems thread? Major coil pack problems with the '99 and '00 Maxes. Failures are occuring at around 20-40 K so it may be a problem with the later models also - they just do not have enough mileage on them yet. Nissan says if one goes, it is likely that the other 5 are defective also and offers to replace all 6 for $650. They will not replace them all for free when one goes. Owners are irate. Sound familiar? Check out that thread if you are one in misery and want some company.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Re: Coik pack problems with Maxima also (justin-T)

quote:[HR][/HR]Does anybody know if it's the same company (Bosch?) that makes them for both companies?

[Modified by justin-T, 12:41 PM 1-31-2003][HR][/HR]​
It seems pretty clear that Bremi made the coil packs for the Passat. See the FAQ here ( http://clubb5.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=34012 ) and especially the letter at the end under "updates"

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Re: Coik pack problems with Maxima also (Bernster)

quote:[HR][/HR]Nissan says if one goes, it is likely that the other 5 are defective also and offers to replace all 6 for $650. They will not replace them all for free when one goes.[HR][/HR]​
There you go.
At least VW has announced that they will replace all coil packs for free on the 2nd visit. (On the 2nd visit apparently only due to the continuing supply shortage.)
Some folks talk about Nissan's superior customer service. $650 isn't too friendly.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Re: Coik pack problems with Maxima also (Der Meister)

quote:[HR][/HR]Some folks talk about Nissan's superior customer service. $650 isn't too friendly.
[HR][/HR]​
Especially when you consider that the VW coilpacks are being sold retail for $30 each and it takes about 2 minutes to replace one...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: Coik pack problems with Maxima also (pipes)

------------------
Especially when you consider that the VW coilpacks are being sold retail for $30 each and it takes about 2 minutes to replace one...
--------------------
Tell me where. I spent $500 getting my 98 B5 fixed for a coil pack problem. What a ripoff. I almost hate this car.

·
Registered
'20 Telluride, '22 Santa Fe PHEV, '07 Airstream
11,190 Posts
Re: Coik pack problems with Maxima also (sbachmeier)

quote:[HR][/HR]Imagine having to drive a car with both bad coil packs and and a butt-ugly ass end...[HR][/HR]​
Somehow, I think 222 hp would overcome that aversion - although the coil pack problem blows. (I drove one before buying the Passat, but I couldn't get over how HUGE the car felt. Nice car though.)
Neither my parent's 92 Maxima or my 95 Infiniti G20t were as reliable as the Nissan lore has it. I still think you probably do better rolling the dice with one than with VW though...but it just goes to show that buying a car remains a massive craps shot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: Coik pack problems with Maxima also (mutcth)

quote:[HR][/HR]Imagine having to drive a car with both bad coil packs and and a butt-ugly ass end...
Somehow, I think 222 hp would overcome that aversion - although the coil pack problem blows. (I drove one before buying the Passat, but I couldn't get over how HUGE the car felt. Nice car though.)
Neither my parent's 92 Maxima or my 95 Infiniti G20t were as reliable as the Nissan lore has it. I still think you probably do better rolling the dice with one than with VW though...but it just goes to show that buying a car remains a massive craps shot.[HR][/HR]​
I'd have to whole heartedly agree. My cousin owned both an '87 (Boxy style) and an '92 (Ford Tempo-like tail lights). Both gave him fits in the 100 to 150K mile range, and man were they pricey to fix.
I've always maintained that VW's are actually cheaper to fix many times, because they are simple to fix. The W-series motors may be the first "complex" motors they have...but since they are based off the VR6, that maybe more perception. Don't believe me? Lift the hood of an Nissan Maxima, then lift the hood of any VR6 car right next to it. Throw in a Mazda 626 with the 4 cyl. You'll be amazed at all the extra wires and hoses in the Japanese car's engine bay. Also, how tight a fit it is compared to the equivalent VW motor.
It doesn't surprise me at all that two identical repairs on a Nissan and a VW has a difference so large in price in favor of the VW. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Coik pack problems with Maxima also (VWBLUBAYOU)

Basically all new cars have advanced technology that make them more reliable with better perfomance but this comes at a cost when there is replacement needed. Environmental requirements exacerbate the problem.
I am am older than most on this forum and remembe adjusting brakes and gapping points but now have such things as antilock brakes which have kept me out of at least one accident. Of course if you ever need to replace the calipers with an antilock system expect to pay big time. Also had a 68 opel with a Bosch distributer - needed to carry WD 40 in the car to get it started in wet weather. Everyting is relative.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.