VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once a car is corner balanced and set at a particular height on coils how would changing the dampening rate (on PSS9s for example) effect the balance/control/feel of the car?

·
Registered
18,206 Posts
Re: Coil Overs, Corner Balancing & Adjustable Dampening? (gottagti)

Quote, originally posted by gottagti »
Once a car is corner balanced and set at a particular height on coils how would changing the dampening rate (on PSS9s for example) effect the balance/control/feel of the car?

depends on what you changed specifically, but no change you can make to the dampening would affect the actual weight balance.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Re: Coil Overs, Corner Balancing & Adjustable Dampening? (John A)

Chime in if I'm wrong John, but you have to actually change the springs to higher/lower rates to actually effectively corner weight the car. Dampening control just controls the rebound of the shock (like not letting the spring bounce so much on full stiff), but you still have the same spring rates and weight.

·
Registered
18,206 Posts
Re: Coil Overs, Corner Balancing & Adjustable Dampening? (ReiHenMotorVR6)

yep! and the really hard thing to 'get' is that no matter what you do with the adjustments, you can't change any front/back weight proportion -- just side to side.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,587 Posts

you certainly 'can' adjust front to back. the valving is of course changing the 'speed' at which the shocks move. it is a bandaid, but by stiffening the rears the car will indeed gain more oversteer. one of the bigger reasons on getting the '9's, is to biased the nature of the car. i now just crank the rears to full stiff when doing a track day, and it's ready to go

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Re: Coil Overs, Corner Balancing & Adjustable Dampening? (M this 1!)

The problem with most coilovers and the PSS in particular is that they are too short and cant be adjusted to the optimal settings! They are just too short! If you crank them all the way up in the front,they almost start to handle well,but they wont go high enough and leave no droop travel at all.
Cranking the rear to full stiff is just a poor bandaid to cover poor design.
These are for show and really are a dead end for real performance. They dont even give you a good rear bar for all that money! If looks are important to you and you for some reason think that low looks good,then they might be an acceptable compromise,but if performance is important,you can certainly do better.
Dick Shine

·
Registered
18,206 Posts

Quote, originally posted by M this 1! »
you certainly 'can' adjust front to back. the valving is of course changing the 'speed' at which the shocks move. it is a bandaid, but by stiffening the rears the car will indeed gain more oversteer. one of the bigger reasons on getting the '9's, is to biased the nature of the car. i now just crank the rears to full stiff when doing a track day, and it's ready to go

we're talking about changing corner weights. no matter what you adjust them to, you cannot shift weight front to rear (or reverse) by changing the heights.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Re: Coil Overs, Corner Balancing & Adjustable Dampening? (SRSVW)

once again, the vw somehow is the ONLY car that gets inferior with coilovers. every highend touring car, streetcar, racecar set up is a coilover.....not a stupid, jacked up front, stiff as hell spring and shock combo. i already said the full stiff adjustment is a bandaid, but it's not due to poor design. it's due to me not being able to afford a set of track springs. it's bad enough buying track tires. for those who need the car to ride well on the street and track, adjustable valving is the answer. i've ridden in SRS set up GTIs, they ride like crap! it felt like the dash would end up in our laps in any second. my friend returned EVERYTHING, and found happiness with H&R coilovers. my friend and i found that our cars were basically identical in ride, when comparing H&R to PSS9s. i just have the ability to change rate and he didn't. Dick, you're way the hell off if you think your odd system is superior to a proper coilover like the H&R or Bilstein. at full height, they're a bit lower than stock.........which by the way is the same as what your SRSs did.

·
Registered
18,206 Posts

Quote, originally posted by M this 1! »
once again, the vw somehow is the ONLY car that gets inferior with coilovers. every highend touring car, streetcar, racecar set up is a coilover.....not a stupid, jacked up front, stiff as hell spring and shock combo. i already said the full stiff adjustment is a bandaid, but it's not due to poor design. it's due to me not being able to afford a set of track springs. it's bad enough buying track tires. for those who need the car to ride well on the street and track, adjustable valving is the answer. i've ridden in SRS set up GTIs, they ride like crap! it felt like the dash would end up in our laps in any second. my friend returned EVERYTHING, and found happiness with H&R coilovers. my friend and i found that our cars were basically identical in ride, when comparing H&R to PSS9s. i just have the ability to change rate and he didn't. Dick, you're way the hell off if you think your odd system is superior to a proper coilover like the H&R or Bilstein. at full height, they're a bit lower than stock.........which by the way is the same as what your SRSs did.

pss9's are near stock height at their highest? that's odd, since all of the ones i've seen were at LEAST an inch lower than stock at the highest. an inch is a big deal.
i have a full race shine setup in my autox car, and it's not a street driven car -- but i've driven probably 10 mkiv's with shine realstreet kits and never for a second said 'hey, this is too stiff'
i guess it's all a matter of preference and perspective. i'm getting a new setup for my mkiv soon, and i want 'all go, no show' -- so i know what i'm buying. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
18,206 Posts
Re: Coil Overs, Corner Balancing & Adjustable Dampening? (ReiHenMotorVR6)

Quote, originally posted by ReiHenMotorVR6 »
Chime in if I'm wrong John, but you have to actually change the springs to higher/lower rates to actually effectively corner weight the car. Dampening control just controls the rebound of the shock (like not letting the spring bounce so much on full stiff), but you still have the same spring rates and weight.

just to clarify -- you can certainly balance the car without chaning spring rates! but you cannot shift the weight balance front to rear.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts

i ended up going 1.25" lower when i first got them and thought it looked better. i was WAY down in the adjustment range, and still had plenty of height to go up, which i did.
you can't change balance with valving, but you can change biased.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Re: Coil Overs, Corner Balancing & Adjustable Dampening? (gottagti)

Quote, originally posted by gottagti »

Simple Answer:
Increasing the front rate would increase understeer, deacrease oversteer.
Increasing the rear rate would decrease understeer, increase oversteer.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Coil Overs, Corner Balancing & Adjustable Dampening? (red98j3glx)

Excellent, thanks red98j3glx...that was part of what I was wondering...I had also been worried that changing the dampening would effect the corner-balancing, but that was alos cleared up here.
Thanks all!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts