VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a member in the vortex since early 2001 I believe and I have to say it is strange that we are all getting these coil pack failures around the same time. I don't remember seeing any mention of coil packs even 6 months ago. How do all our dubs have this problem at the same time, seems odd no?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Re: coil pack EXPLOSION (lcohen999)

What coilpack problems? 26K on my 1.8T and never a problem...

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

Perhaps a batch of bad "H" coilpacks were used in late model my2001 and my2002 MKIVs and the parts generally fail after about 1 year and during cold weather...
I don't think it's that weird.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Re: coil pack EXPLOSION (agarc)

I have an early model 01 and have NO coilpack issues (knock on wood) I had a guy interested in buying my car, but he ran away b/c he thought my coils were gonna go soon

Damnit
IS there any proof that only later models get this said issue?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Re: coil pack EXPLOSION (Vega909)

nothing - vw is replacing them (one at a time) under warrenty, but no official recall has been done on the part yet, as they are still in large shortage - altho i believe there are 1.8 coils starting to become available.
you can read all about this in the 26 (it may be more by now) page sticky thread at the top of the page.

·
Banned
2,410 Posts
Re: coil pack EXPLOSION (jae)

how much per coil to replace?- I hate to think of having to shell out of pocket for a defective part/piece, but it may just be the way to go right now as a preventative measure. Hopefully someday, if/when VW publicly recognizes this problem as a recall I may get reimbursed. Chances are slim, I know. Still, anyone have pricing for these?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Re: Is it only a 1.8T issue? (suddha)

good question - it's possible. it was thought that the 24v vr6 engines wouldn't have this problem, but there are definately those who have had them fail.
i don't really know how wide spread the problem is, but the part is on national backorder, so it's possible that more ppl have had the problem then have posted on this site.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

I read a news clip on Autoweek (?) mentioning that the problem affects 1.8T Audi A4 & VW's 2001-2002 MY. The supplier is apparently doing triple shifts to fill demand. I hope the 2.0 is clear

[Modified by radgolf, 9:50 AM 1-23-2003]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts