VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GTI Autobahn, Cornflower Blue
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mum called me today to say her engine (early 02 1.8T) cut out on her while she was slowing down to make a turn today. I'm trying to diagnose what the problem may be. It started up just fine afterwards. It's happened before.... both times in the rain.
I drive an mk3 which I'm sure you all know are riddled with ignition coil probs that are affected by water. Could that be it?
If not, any other suggestions? She knows little about cars and that results in, getting jacked by the dealer/mechanics.
Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Re: Coil pack Q: Are they affected by rain like ignition coils? Rain seems t ... (ninelives)

I'd suspect the wiring to the coilpacks, it is known to have issues with the insulation falling off. Of course there are a bunch of other things it could be too. Any chance of looking for any codes set?

·
Registered
2021 GTI Autobahn, Cornflower Blue
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Coil pack Q: Are they affected by rain like ignition coils? Rain seems t ... (Mohudsolo)

I have no way of testing the codes myself. I do know that when she took her car in to the shop a while ago, there were some cylinder misfires listed on her diagnostic. I had no idea what would cause that..
I can get the actual read out tomorrow if that would help clear things up, just got to get them off her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts