VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last two weeks I have had two coil packs go out on me. My 1.8T started killing coilpacks when I went big turbo but I kept using OEM coils. I don't want this to start happening alot with the turbo R. Are there any aftermarket coil packs available? Or are you turbo guys just keeping spares in the glovebox?

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Re: Coil pack upgrade? (DarkSideGTI)

My buddy always jokes about getting the VW part number for his car's coilpacks tattooed on his forearm.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Re: Coil pack upgrade? (azsightsound)

Quote, originally posted by azsightsound »
My buddy always jokes about getting the VW part number for his car's coilpacks tattooed on his forearm.

Hehe. I'm thinking about getting the BLS part number tattooed on mine.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts

Quote, originally posted by DarkSideGTI »
In the last two weeks I have had two coil packs go out on me. My 1.8T started killing coilpacks when I went big turbo but I kept using OEM coils. I don't want this to start happening alot with the turbo R. Are there any aftermarket coil packs available? Or are you turbo guys just keeping spares in the glovebox?

Why would a turbo be harder on coil packs? Is it the engine compartment heat that kills them?

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Re: Coil pack upgrade? (Arizman3)

Quote, originally posted by Arizman3 »

Why would a turbo be harder on coil packs? Is it the engine compartment heat that kills them?

Heat kills almost everything, but the real danger I would think is being in a high boost situation with lots of fuel and not having spark.

·
Registered
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Coil pack upgrade? (azsightsound)

the one I killed yesterday I believe was caused by me gapping my plugs a bit closer. At 15 psi I was blowing out the spark and it was misfiring. I ordered some colder plugs but they are not here yet so in the meantime I tried closing the gap from .036" to .028". I did a 3rd gear pull and it started to miss so I let off, about 30 seconds later I heard the dreaded WRX sound. Luckily I had a spare coil pack in the glove box.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts

I'm working on a 2.0T FSI right now (doing a APR Stage 3 turbo kit) and it has the OKD Plasma Direct coil packs which are supposed to be a higher output / better coil pack. Now to me, I'm not sure if they really are better or if they are just OEM with purty lil decorations glued to the top of the OEM coil packs.

But per their website I don't see that they have anything for the VR6. It can't hurt to shoot them a call and inquire if your looking for a OEM alternative.

http://www.okadaprojects.com/u...t.htm

·
Registered
10,808 Posts
^ With the engine at idle pull each coil one at a time, if the engine stutters the coil is good. If the engine has no change in speed you found your bad coil.

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote, originally posted by DarkSideGTI »
the one I killed yesterday I believe was caused by me gapping my plugs a bit closer. At 15 psi I was blowing out the spark and it was misfiring. I ordered some colder plugs but they are not here yet so in the meantime I tried closing the gap from .036" to .028". I did a 3rd gear pull and it started to miss so I let off, about 30 seconds later I heard the dreaded WRX sound. Luckily I had a spare coil pack in the glove box.

Could you please tell me which colder Plugs you ordered??

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Re: (beachball6)

Quote, originally posted by beachball6 »
^ With the engine at idle pull each coil one at a time, if the engine stutters the coil is good. If the engine has no change in speed you found your bad coil.

Can't imagine this would be good for the motor....I mean each time you pull a good coil off, you'd be putting additional load on the remaining cylinders to keep things going as well as carrying dead weight (The pistons that arn't firing)....I guess theres no other easy way to do it though

·
Registered
10,808 Posts
^ its just the same as a misfire, kind of. Plus if you don't have vag-com you can't really count the misfires on a given cylinder.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Re: (beachball6)

Quote, originally posted by beachball6 »
^ its just the same as a misfire, kind of. Plus if you don't have vag-com you can't really count the misfires on a given cylinder.

Yea true...but I was kinda thinking though if you have one that is bad already and then you start pulling off good ones at times you would then have two cylinders down. But this does sound like the only logical way to do it if you dont have a vag....BTW this is just me thinking out loud about this incase I need to do it one day

1 - 17 of 17 Posts