VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone tell me if a bad coil would just quit altogether or if it can die out slowly? I still have an issue with the car bogging when you start off in 1st unless you slip the clutch alot it will jerk and buck until above 3K rpms. i replaced both fuel pumps, wires, plugs, dist cap and rotor, cleaned the injectors, made sure there were no leaks at the intake boots, and it still drives like crap. this is the last thing i can think of it being. anyone know what MSD coils will work? I don't want to spend a fortune, but might as well upgrade if it has to go. BTW its an 87 1.8 8v CIS-E

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Re: Coil question (Clav)

Most common is for them to just die , But im sure an old one can get weak http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Edit: Spell Check

Modified by Veedub4me at 4:25 PM 5-24-2004

·
Registered
307 Posts
Re: Coil question (Veedub4me)

if you have a bentley, test the primary and secondary resistance.
according to them, that's what tells you the condition of your coil.
however, before you test the resistance, make sure that the terminals are clean
cause that can throw off your reading by a lot especially since primary resistance
values are less than 1 ohm (very sensitive). spray it with some DeOxIt or something and make sure you have good connection with the test leads.
i checked my coil the other day and the primary resitance was off by about 50% of the maximum premissible value that bentley stated but my car runs fine besides the misfire at idle.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

check the o2 sensor as it can cause unusual problems. check the two wire to the cis-e module with volt meter. if it moves up and down thats good. if not replace it. nopi had new ones exactly like the mustang 5.0 89 conversion for like $18. but your problem is not the coil. I'd also check the plug wires and maybe the intake boot for a split at the bottom.

·
Registered
7,905 Posts

immediately I would think to check your fuel rise pressures, i would think fuel regulator. shops check this for you - should run about 35-45 bucks.
in all this you didnt mention fuel filter.
hows the timing, and do you have vaccum leaks.
Any other odd electrical issues - events with your car?
i would say check and clean all main terminals alt to starter, to positive, from neg to chassis, to Trans from head to coil. electrical tuneups are NOT overrated. the connections have to be good.
questions to tackle.

Modified by DubPhreek at 11:29 PM 6-7-2004

1 - 6 of 6 Posts