VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 VW Rabbit 2000 VW Beetle
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of installing my new suspension and ran into what some would call "a little snag" and what others would call "a wall".

The nuts and bolts that hold in my OE strut are not coming out due to rust. And my pointless attempts to try and remove them have rounded out the nut.
Any way I can take the nut and bolt off without 1) removing the wipers and 2) messing up my paint

And if you could give me tips on how to remove the wipers that'd be great, went to O'Rileys to get new end links (another headache) and they said a battery terminal puller would do the same job but I almost broke the thing twice. TIA

·
Registered
10,408 Posts
I put the wipers in the service position & take of the cover cap & use a 13mm socket to remove the nut. Then I lift the wiper off the glass and try to rock the short piece off the splines. Protect the edge of the hood or wrap a cloth on the wiper arm arm. If that does not work I break out the wiper removal tool and that get them off.

For the three bolts up top you might try a bolt/nut extractor

·
Registered
15 Posts
If the wipers have been off before, they usually come off with repeated pressing about 6 inches away from the nut
- but if they have never been off you will need a puller.
This type of battery terminal puller works very well:https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41zClXbDxPL._AC_.jpg
Little bit bulky, tight to get in around the scuttle cover, not expensive - best of all it works.

Assuming you are struggling with the top mount bolts - I ended up dremelling the bolt heads off 3 of mine -it's a grim task to get them out, have paint ready for touch ups.

·
Registered
85 Posts
And that tool fit around the wiper and the cowl panel trim without issues?
I cant say that tool specifically, as it has been a while, but I was able to use that type of puller to unseat the wiper arm without much difficulty. The one I linked seem to be the smallest they have without going to a terminal puller, so it should be your best bet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.