VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm new to the site, and I'm in the process of purchasing a MKVI Jetta. Of course I couldn't stand to be stock height for very long, so I have been searching for a good set of coilovers. I want to be pretty low, but not be super bouncy, and I also will have car payments so i do not want to spend more than like $700. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi!

I'm new to the site, and I'm in the process of purchasing a MKVI Jetta. Of course I couldn't stand to be stock height for very long, so I have been searching for a good set of coilovers. I want to be pretty low, but not be super bouncy, and I also will have car payments so i do not want to spend more than like $700. What do you guys think?
I am on the same boat as you the question is how low you want to go and what will the coilovers be used for (track or low and slow). I see on ebay the ST coilovers going for around $850-$950. The BC coilovers I have heard are a very good choice (NOT BOUNCY) to go with plus they go low. And they are $1050.00. If you don't give any ****s then drop them on racelands lol.
You might as well just save a bit more and get BC coilovers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
How low can they go and are good for track use?
Got ST's from Darryl from HPA for under $750... Handles bumps pretty much just like stock GLI suspension, not as much body roll tho - a bit stiffer cornering. Definitely not track suspension by any means, but throw some bigger sways + unibrace on down the road and you can get the best of both worlds - Soft on bumps but good handles.
You can go stupid low in the rears and and the pretty low in the fronts too, despite my passenger side not wanting to go lower than 2 finger gap. Same with all jettas I think tho - passenger front will always be higher than the driver side (because of the tranny components on our FWD are on the drier side?? idk) Good buy for the price though, they're def quality :thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies guys! i want to be pretty damn low and it definitely won't see the track, but i hate riding in a car that feels like im on a trampoline. i just found out that ill have to wait to get my car so ill have more time to save for coils, i have heard that the BCs are nice so ill look into those for sure

·
Registered
55 Posts
Got ST's from Darryl from HPA for under $750... Handles bumps pretty much just like stock GLI suspension, not as much body roll tho - a bit stiffer cornering. Definitely not track suspension by any means, but throw some bigger sways + unibrace on down the road and you can get the best of both worlds - Soft on bumps but good handles.
You can go stupid low in the rears and and the pretty low in the fronts too, despite my passenger side not wanting to go lower than 2 finger gap. Same with all jettas I think tho - passenger front will always be higher than the driver side (because of the tranny components on our FWD are on the drier side?? idk) Good buy for the price though, they're def quality :thumbup:
thanks for the info

·
Registered
370 Posts
We have had very good luck with quite a few different suspension manufacturers. But I would consider what you want the most of from your coilovers.

Is performance on the track the most important? or is the daily comfort while still be able to perform better than stock on the track?

Let me know what I can do to help you.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
This is more directed to Neptunes78 since he asked about tracking. I think the OP is looking more for aesthetics without ruining the ride.

If you are looking for budget track suspension, you should really look into getting some Koni Sports or Bilstein Sports with a matching set of lowering springs from H&R (or Eibach, Vogtland VWRacing etc). Remember that the front is technically a coilover already, and the rear never was or will be a coilover (you get shocks, a spring and an adjustable hockey puck). For moderate track use you will be happier with decent, properly valved shocks and non-adjustable springs so you don't have to mess with corner balancing. The Koni Sports give you rebound adjustability for dialing in the shock stiffness if you want to. If you plan on upping the game a bit, Bilstein PSS10 is a fantastic street/track setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is more directed to Neptunes78 since he asked about tracking. I think the OP is looking more for aesthetics without ruining the ride.

If you are looking for budget track suspension, you should really look into getting some Koni Sports or Bilstein Sports with a matching set of lowering springs from H&R (or Eibach, Vogtland VWRacing etc). Remember that the front is technically a coilover already, and the rear never was or will be a coilover (you get shocks, a spring and an adjustable hockey puck). For moderate track use you will be happier with decent, properly valved shocks and non-adjustable springs so you don't have to mess with corner balancing. The Koni Sports give you rebound adjustability for dialing in the shock stiffness if you want to. If you plan on upping the game a bit, Bilstein PSS10 is a fantastic street/track setup.
Bingo ;)

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I would recommend our Type 1 coilovers. They are a comfortable ride, have a nice height and are budget friendly. Plus we offer a 5 year warranty on them!

Here's a photo of my car for reference, with the coilovers almost all the way down. Ive been commuting 80 miles a day for the last year on these and have absolutely no complaints.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I am very happy with my solowerks S1 coilovers, very comfortable ride, no body roll and not jumpy on crappy roads. Best value too.

I was thinking of putting on some springs with matched shocks at first but I really wanted to get rid of the reverse rake and the spring/shock combos will never do that. I finally decided to go coilovers when I saw that the solowerks would be a less expensive option to the spring/shock combos. Search around for reviews of these coilovers, they are mostly positive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.