VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just lost a long a$$ post

but I have a chance to buy a set of RACTIVE coilovers for my 1998 GTI golf. Should i ? I dont want a harsh ride.
DO i go for the coilovers or a good set of springs?
thanks ,
Shawn

[Modified by Lotust, 5:28 AM 4-8-2002]

·
Registered
902 Posts
Re: coilovers ? should I ? i hate a harsh ride? RACTIVE coilovers.. input needed (Lotust)

if ur gonna do suspension do it right the first time and get real coilovers, not coilover sleeves. one of the biggest regrets that people have is not doing it right the first time and not spending the extra money for something quality and reliable. just my $.02.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: coilovers ? should I ? i hate a harsh ride? RACTIVE coilovers.. input needed (VdubLove)

yes i agree DONT buy junk, But what are REAL COILOVERS? I suppose real ones mount off to the side of the shocks?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Re: coilovers ? should I ? i hate a harsh ride? RACTIVE coilovers.. input needed (Lotust)

yes those are real coilovers. real coilvers consist of a shock and spring being specifically made and matched for each other. with the ractive coilovers sleeves they wont work as well because they are not specifically match to the shock ur using. also if u buy different springs or get coilovers sleeves much sure that u upgrade ur shocks or the factory ones will be blown very quickly. there is a group buy going in right now in the technical suspension forum in case ur interested. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=247446 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: coilovers ? should I ? i hate a harsh ride? RACTIVE coilovers.. input needed (VdubLove)

ahh i see i see. thanks its all clear to me now

thanks for the help. Hum what to do now. springs/coilovers or a neuspeed Supercharger

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

a slow car with great handling will beat a fast car with crappy suspension any day.... just food for thought...

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Re: coilovers ? should I ? i hate a harsh ride? RACTIVE coilovers.. input needed (spaceman_spiff)

quote:[HR][/HR]a slow car with great handling will beat a fast car with crappy suspension any day.... just food for thought...[HR][/HR]​
umm, around corners yes, but thats all obselete when the fast car catches up again after waddling around the turn.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Re: coilovers ? should I ? i hate a harsh ride? RACTIVE coilovers.. input needed (THE Wuss)

quote:[HR][/HR]umm, around corners yes, but thats all obselete when the fast car catches up again after waddling around the turn.
[HR][/HR]​

european car, or ....well, some magazine was doing a review on h&r's coils a while back when they first came out, they started the article off with a fun little tale of a race up a mountain between their stock (other than the coils) jetta, and a tuned civic that out-powered the dub by quite a bit. the honda plowed thru the turns like a train flying off the tracks, so it needed the power to catch up in the few straight spots (which were far fewer than the turns). basically the jetta walked all over it from handling alone, and beat it to the photo shoot location. (much to the dismay of the honda owner after all the money he spent)
my point is, you'll be doing more turning on everyday roads than drag racing. heck, if you wanted a muscle car with poor handling, you'd have gotten a camaro or mustang, right?
it all depends what you want

·
Banned
1,266 Posts
Re: coilovers ? should I ? i hate a harsh ride? RACTIVE coilovers.. input needed (XSiVE)

sell the 2L and get a VR6, you won't look back once after going through the gears. just my .05 cents
i know as i speak from experience. i just put in my coilovers last night, FK's, OH MY FU**ING GOD!!!!!!!! i love it!!!!!! Can't wait for the box from TRAC racing to come, yummmmm, cams, chip, valve springs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.