VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there anyway to run the cold air intake down by the bumper and make sure it doesnt suck up water? obvisouly besides driving into deep puddles and avoiding driving in big rain storms, is there a shield or cover of some sort or any trick to prevent siezing the engine?

·
Registered
16,076 Posts
Just don't get one that places the filter 3" off the ground. I have the Injen CAI and it is pretty high in the bumper. You'd have to drive through some monster puddle to suck water through it (infact I HAVE driven through flooded streets in my lowered car no issues. I live in Oregon. Let's just say it rains).
There is a condom looking thing someone makes, it repels water (though once submerged I'm sure it would suck up water).
There is also a valve you can get that opens once it sees vacuum (you start sucking up water, you get vacuum, it opens). However, this is not for use with the 1.8T, it would constantly stay open due to the turbo.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i have one already i had to take it off when i got a new engine and the shop said if i put it back on it viod their 90 day warranty so i kept it off for now but when i had it on it sat pretty nice and tucked in the bumper so i didnt think there would be a problem but i figuered if there was something i could do to be even more sure it wouldnt suck any water it was worth a try...thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
If you're really worried about ingesting liquid water, install a small PCV filter up on the air intake tube by the MAF. It will act to vent the top of the tube in case the filter becomes submerged.
Poke a hole in the top of a straw and try drinking through it to see the effect. Under normal conditions, the large bulk of inlet air will come from the main filter while the PCV filter simply gives you peace of mind re water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.