VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car and I want to add an intake, I was wondering what the best cold air intake is for my money?
(Searching will give me a few, but doesn't exactly help the for my money part.)
1998 Audi a4 b5 1.8t

·
Registered
245 Posts
Re: Cold Air Intake ([email protected])

If you just got your car and you want to mod it, put in something other than an intake. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif CAI in our 1.8Ts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts

if you want an intake sound spend $40 on a k&n filter for the stock box then just cut a hole in the bottom section of the box. will give you the intake sound and costs about a quater of the price of any intake on the market.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
Well then what would you suggest doing?

If you are looking for performance, first thing I would do is chip it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif After that or at the same time I would probably install an aftermarket diverter valve or a cat-back.
If you are looking for sound, do what seank says but you don't have to use a k&n. The stock filter will do just fine. (BTW there is a good DIY called Ike's Airbox mod. in the DIY thread. However, you don't have to use the tubing if you don't want to.)
If you are looking for appearance, then you have hundreds of options (wheels, headlights, paint, etc.)
Good luck! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've seen stuff like the airbox mod, but I'm not too keen on cutting holes in stuff, the end result looks kind of messy and ghetto, and I don't care too much about the sound aspect.
Where can I get some info on chipping the car, I'd assume that there are different kinds of chips and some are better than others? Same for diverter valve.
I'm not too keen on the appearance of the car, I'm not the kind of person who wants tinted windows, black wheels a huge spoiler and flames. I do want some new headlights though; mine won't aim correctly, aren't bright at all, and I hate the yellow corners.
Thanks.

Modified by [email protected] at 12:33 AM 8-13-2006

·
Registered
245 Posts

APR is pretty much the most popular chip. I have a Neuspeed 1.0 bar and it works for me

As for diverter valves, most people will suggest the Forge 007 or Bailey's DV30.
Headlights are fairly easy to come by, but it all depends on whether you'd like xenon or not. I'd say go with two piece headlights e-codes like DEPO or Helix since you're not keen on cutting your car. However, a lot of people on here will tell you to screw the 2-piece and go with one-piece (which for your year requires an irreversible cutting of the fender
).
Good luck.

PS. huge spoilers and flames are sweeeeeet!!!11!!!1!!1!1!

·
Banned
1,165 Posts

lots of things.....
a) you need gas
b) ABS light is on; could be many things...hopefully just a sensor
c) i can't tell what the other ones are indicating from the pic; older model than mine. one looks like the battery but the voltage meter looks good...
d) last but not least...you've obviously tried sticking something other than a cassette in there, or you simply like the beatles.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Cold Air Intake (DUKESDANK)

tis the beatles. the abs light has been on ever since the place i got it took it back and put new brakes on, i dont know what they did

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
ure not gunna feel any difference with an intake.. just sound... just got a filter if u want the sound but honestly i wouldnt put ure money into it.. maybe later in the process of mods

·
Banned
1,165 Posts

they probably forgot to reconnect something...
there is a sensor right behind the rotors that you can get to if you turn the wheels as far as they'll go each way; could be loose...if you're a lucky person that may be all it is.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The ABS issue is probably just the sensor are dirty or they just need reseating know problem after changing brakes.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
Where can I get some info on chipping the car, I'd assume that there are different kinds of chips and some are better than others? Same for diverter valve.

Search and you will find a ton of info...I have GIAC's 93 octane chip...it hits 18lbs (1.2 or 1.3 bar) I love it, much more aggressive than the APR that I had in my old a4.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Cold Air Intake (DUKESDANK)

i checked this out and im guessing these are the connections you're talking about, they're both snug

i found this though, we had the dealer who sold us the car replace the tierod because it was bad, they didn't put the boot back on fully

(yay for cracked brake lines)

Modified by [email protected] at 1:59 PM 8-16-2006

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Cold Air Intake (kwilson)

i didn't play with it at all, but im pretty sure i can fix it myself easily. the dealer already doesnt like ms because i gota good price on the car and had them put in 4 new rotors and do the tie rod
that and its pretty far away in a ****ty area

1 - 19 of 19 Posts