VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after 2 months since buying the car I'm still fixing little things as I go along. I noticed the car is a bit hard to start on cooler mornings. So the first thing I did was checked the thermo time switch, it was fine. Next, I connected a test light to the wiring harness of the cold-start valve and there's no power there.
Further diagnosis revealed that I'm getting the ground connection there (from the thermo-time switch). However, there's no power (positive connection) Now the question is, where does the power come from ? I'm thinking *normally* it probably gets a constant power from the battery as long as the engine is running and the ground is switched on and off from the thermo-time switch ?
A quick look at Bentley and I didn't see anything about the power source to the cold-start injector. I didn't see a fuse either but I know I'm missing something

Any ideas guys

Thx!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Cold start injector not getting power :( (Sarwat)

OK can anyone unplug the cold start valve harness, determine which one is the ground wire and which one is the hot wire. Then connect the +ve terminal of the test light to the hot wire and connect the -ve terminal of the test light to intake manifold (or any other ground as long as its not the ground on the harness which is coming from the thermotime switch). Then let me know if the light stays on even when the engine is hot ?
If the hot wire is getting constant current when the car is running I'll just reroute it to get power from elsewhere as whereever its connected to right now its not sending it power.
Look whatelse I found...mmm crispy:

But this was easy to fix, got a harness connector and a backup switch at the junkyard. Spliced in the new harness connector, installed the backup switch and viola! - Its getting there, one fix at a time...

Thx

Modified by Sarwat at 8:22 PM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Re: Cold start injector not getting power :( (Sarwat)

Check the Bentley a bit closer.
You should find it below the ignition switch (it's power source).
fat biker

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Cold start injector not getting power :( (fat biker)

Thx I will when I get home - I was looking for it under the fuel enrichment section

1 - 4 of 4 Posts