VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know which relay is associated with the cold start injector. I think that is my problem, because whenever I go to start my 84 Rabbit Cabrio(German Model), it lags throttle response. I have to keep it above 3000rpm for a good 2 minutes before I can really start to drive it. Once the car is warm though its run and if I kill the ignition and try it again, its fine. Its usually after the car sits for more than 2 hours, starting the car becomes annoying. If anybody else experienced this or knows this I can check for, let me know.
thanks
Matt aka. Subby

· Registered
10,420 Posts
Re: Cold Start Injector Relay (syphel)

None of the four A1's I've owned have had a relay for the cold start valve. The cold start valve is usually controlled by the thermo-time switch which is on the cylinder head by the upper rad hose connection.

· Registered
3,765 Posts
Re: Cold Start Injector Relay (Subby)

Some of them got a dealer retrofit of the hot pulse relay...
Suggest you consult with Mr. Bentley for proper procedure to check the cold start circuit. It's not that tough.
That said, it does not sound to me like the cold start valve is your problem. Remember, on a cold start, the thing only opens for like 8 seconds.
Have you checked for vacuum leaks yet? Vacuum leaks cause a lean condition which in turn causes poor idle quality. The fuel injector o-rings are always a good suspect.
fat biker

Modified by fat biker at 6:20 PM 7-16-2003

· Registered
1,174 Posts
Re: Cold Start Injector Relay (Subby)

haha...sounds very familiar, like my current car actually. Even though its an A2, same problem. I thought it was the fuel injectors. Its to the point that you have to start and drive, itll die on you a couple of times, but it runs. Otherwise I could try and keep it at an idle forever in the driveway and never get it to keep running.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Cold Start Injector Relay (fat biker)

but see, it only occurs when the car is cold. After driving the car for about 5 minutes, the car runs fine. If I leave the car and come back within an hour and try to start it, it runs fine. Its when the car sits for more than 2 hours, when the car cools down, when trying to start, the problem occurs, but again, after 5 minutes of driving, its fine.
powder aka. subby (its the same person twice)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.