VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i have a problem i am new to turbo charges engines and am working on getting the bently for this car.

what i have
2004 b5.5 passat 1.8t wagon
108,000 miles
awm engine / manual trans
totally stock
(all service done at VW dealer till i bought it @ 104,000)\

Here is the issue, on cold start up i have a consistent "tapping or knock" form the valve train. once the cold start ends and engine drops to a normal idle the "tapping or knock" becomes intermittent. After warm up noise becomes nonexistent. warm start up noise nonexistent. i have tried to pinpoint the noise and found it centered around the valve train.

-timing belt, tensioner, and water pump changed @ 105,000
-valve cover gasket @105,000 no evidence of oil sludge
-plugs checked and @ appropriate gape

did fill up last tank with regular :( normally use premium however was unavailable @ the time

Thank you for any help,

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
0w-40 Mobil 1 syn Euro formula. what do you all use oil and filter wise. I just looked in the book for what was recommended.

i changed to a high flow oil filter 11-19 Lbs pressure the previous one was 19-28 lbs pressure. so will see if that makes any difference on start up. how it seem that general consensus seems to be a faulty cam tensioner. :(

·
Registered
504 Posts
0w-40 Mobil 1 syn Euro formula. what do you all use oil and filter wise. I just looked in the book for what was recommended.

i changed to a high flow oil filter 11-19 Lbs pressure the previous one was 19-28 lbs pressure. so will see if that makes any difference on start up. how it seem that general consensus seems to be a faulty cam tensioner. :(
That is the same oil I use. And I personally use Mann filters. But I would still check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge if possible. Like I said I guarantee that the tensioner is what is making noise, but weather the tensioner is making noise b/c of low oil pressure or b/c of a faulty tensioner that we don't know yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.