VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the cold weather comes around, the damn suspension is starting to creak again...however it seems noticably worse than it did last year. I remember people saying they had the same issue while going over speed bumps and bumps in the road, and people had a few thoughts on what was causing it:
- loose top strut bolts
- loose subframe bolts
I was wondering if anybody ever found the solution, or if it was ever officially recognized by VW as a problem. I heard the noise with stock springs, and hear it just as bad with my aftermarket ones.
Anybody have thoughts/suggestions/fixes? Also, what should the top strut be torqued to??

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
i get this problem too, except it's not just the suspension - it's the entire frame of the car. I had this issue before i got aftermarket springs+shocks, and I think that only made the matter worse. I'm going to report it during my 10K checkup, but I don't know how they'll fix it because the entire body croaks and moans over every bump. It seems worst at the doors.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Re: Cold weather = creaking suspension (britGTIflav)

left rear control arm area creaking depending on temp and humidity....we had it on the hoist 2 days ago to remove and reinstall h&r rear sway bar to see if that had anything to do with it, i checked everything i could think of but it's tough when the suspension is not under load.....no creaking for 2 hours after reinstallation, then started again. really changes with the weather though. still trying to isolate the issue, not going to give up and will post when i find the problem/source.

Modified by scottydog at 2:22 AM 10-30-2007

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
definitely changes drastically with the temperature. Today was low 60s and i couldnt hear the noise at all. I have Vogtland 35mm springs.
That sounds pretty serious if they have to replace the whole control arm, no?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Re: Cold weather = creaking suspension (britGTIflav)

I have the same problem as the OP, don't even feel like driving the car it is so bad, seriously thinking about trading it in and starting over. It is absolutely horrible, driving the car makes me sick, barely over a year old and sounds like it is 50 years old

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.