VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the cold have anything to do with the number of cranks needed for my car to start? It cranks just as hard as in the summer, but it seems to be taking longer to get it to finally fire.
I don't know if this is due to the cold, or the head work that was reciently done - namely 268 Cam

·
Registered
729 Posts
Re: Cold weather effecting # of cranks before car starts... (Pagano)

I can't give you a scientific reason, but all our farm equipment and all our cars crank a little longer in the cold. Of course, cold is relative, the diesels start to crank a little more at about freezing, the cars (subarus) at about 15 and the truck (toyota) starts to crank a little more below 0. my vw is probably similar to the subarus although i'd say themost noticeable thing is that it cranks a little slower because of cold oil.
The headwork might have changed a little but i can't help on that one.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Re: Cold weather effecting # of cranks before car starts... (ig_88e)

It just takes longer to get that spark to go I guess.
In cold weather you shouldn't keep re-cranking your engine over and over again without pausing. I think the manual gives you a guidline of 10 or 30 secs between cranks.
If it's bad, think about plugging in your car at night, or using a thinner oil in the winter.

·
Registered
19,697 Posts
Re: Cold weather effecting # of cranks before car starts... (synistyr)

The battery is colder, there fore does not crank as hard or put out as much juice. If I leave my cell phone in the car when it is below zero it will die in a matter of a few hours. Obviously a car battery is a little more stout, but the same principle applies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts