VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am a senior in High School and I have no car. I am (hopefully) going to college next year and I need something. The htought of car payments in college just scares me though. Yeah, I know, I have more important things to think about, but I will need a car.
Does anyone here do it and pay themselves or should I just buy beater after beater
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Natty

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Re: College people: How did you buy your car? (Natty)

Believe me, you don't need a car freshman year. That's what rich friends are for! Cars are just a pain in the butt on campus. Just borrow one when you need it.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Bought the GTI in High School!!!! But, with not working while attending college, I couldn't fathom having to pay for/buy a car. Go the beater route, or if you live close enough, buy a crappy bike and a nice lock. I know 2 wheels and 2 legs wont get you off campus much, but you'll be amazed at how much you'll leave using other people's rides...and gas!
Justin

·
Registered
23,277 Posts
Re: College people: How did you buy your car? (99GTI2.0)

well I actually recommend having a car on campus, Im a freshman, an an undisclosed unviersity, and am less than happy here, so I am quite thankful to have transportation. If you cant afford much I suggest the beater route, which I think is prefferable on campus because cars get beat up big time. you would be suprised how many cars you can find for a grand, thats what I would do.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Re: College people: How did you buy your car? (Jettavr666)

how did i afford my car??
i bought a $3000 volvo 245 wagon....
excellent deal
totally reliable car
and im not caring that its not new... i reccomend buying a used car for cheap... doesnt have to be a "beater", heck mine is beautiful.

·
Registered
10,396 Posts
Re: College people: How did you buy your car? (QC-Wolfsburg89)

My sister went to college for 12 YEARS without a car or even a driver's license. That's what your rich friends are for. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Now a car guy like myself, I just bought $200 cars every year and did my own wrench turning to keep them cheap.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Re: College people: How did you buy your car? (QC-Wolfsburg89)

You don't want to pay payments when you're not working full time.
It doesn't make financial sense.
Just buy a nice used car that you can afford..If you can't afford a car, save up.
Unless you come across a job that pays an excessive amount of $ for part-time work, its just not worth getting a new car.

·
Registered
22,720 Posts

I have a kickbutt scholorship which pays very well. As for the loan, a family member who just sold ALOT of land to her state gave it to me. I'm making 200USD payments monthly, ontop of my 150USD insurance payments.
I was VERY lucky in how everything worked out!!
As for why I have a car, i'm a sophmore just got the car this year because I started commuting to school. At 60mi per day my old 86 Topaz wouldn't have lasted 2 months without lots of problems. So I'm selling it to my brother
he's in highschool.

[Modified by landrumdh, 8:29 PM 2-6-2002]

·
Banned
11,608 Posts
Re: College people: How did you buy your car? (landrumdh)

i bought mine before i went to university........and i have a very hard time keeping it.
but as public transportation is free here for students and also very good.
i really wouldn't need one....
but hey, every-one needs a hobby

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Re: College people: How did you buy your car? (turbo_nine)

working 60 hour weeks durign the summer and then using all the money i made to support me during school....
seems like a crappy way but it works...kinda
and i have the king of all money pits! a corrado!

·
Registered
28,097 Posts

I agree with all the posts, and (not really wanting to sound like the old fart that I am), I thing that even asking the question is great.
As everyone says, get an older car for college. I had old cars through college, and they served their purpose well.
Even though you respect it and treat it well, how will you feel the first time your best friend pukes in it? Yes, it will happen.
Trust us on this one, get an old car.

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
Re: College people: How did you buy your car? (Cooper)

with help from my mom, i searched the newspaper classifieds for a private deal. the private deals are the way to go, because it is much more casual and easier than going to a dealer. also, you will have an easier time negociating the price, and possibly might end up with a car in better shape than one from a dealer. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
last summer, we ended up finding one. a red civic EX coupe, 5-spd, with 99K on the odometer. The clutch, motor, interior and exterior were in sharp condition, with only a few scratches. and when i looked at the underbody a month after getting it, not even a sight of rust down there.
the previous owner of my car took damn good care of it, you could mistake it for a florida car. (i live in upstate NY, where road salt is everywhere in the winter.)

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Lifted G37
13,227 Posts

sold my first car that i bought in highschool, used the money plus a small loan from my parents for my new car.
i dont know what the people that say that you dont need a car freshman year are talking about. i needed one almost every day. and how are you going to get home or go on a date? bum rides all the time? i dont think so...
i say get a car that costs a little less than you have to spend, so you have some $ to fix it when it breaks. buying beater after beater would be a pain in the ass. it would suck to drive most of the time, and if its unreliable, then you are worse off than you are w/o a car.

·
Registered
829 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]As everyone says, get an older car for college. I had old cars through college, and they served their purpose well.
Even though you respect it and treat it well, how will you feel the first time your best friend pukes in it? Yes, it will happen.
Trust us on this one, get an old car.
[HR][/HR]​
Driving a beater for a few years also makes you appreciate that first nice car that much better.

G

·
Re: College people: How did you buy your car? (Slackmeister)

Just because you have to buy an old car doesn't mean you need to buy a boring car.
I bought a wonderful Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo for $2K that got me through college (and halfway through grad school) and was a hoot to drive. They're some great funsters out there like a Nissan Sentra SE-R or a Civic Si that'll be cheap to buy, own and operate, and they'll last forever.

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
Re: College people: How did you buy your car? (bgluckman)

oh i would have LOVED to have a 91-94 SE-R. i would have had it made at an early age.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Re: College people: How did you buy your car? (maskedSONY)

Grow some balls, get a BIG coat, and daily drive a street bike
They suck in the rain, really suck in the snow (I know ppl that have rode Yamaha R1s in the snow to work though) but they get killer gas mileage, are fun, a bike will be cheaper, etc.
J.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
Re: College people: How did you buy your car? (Crazyquik)

i bought a $300 RX-7. Runs and looks like a dream. lesson is, hillbillys should not own RX-7's. They dont know how to unflood them

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.