VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently live outside of Austin, TX and I love it here but I really want to make a change. For a couple of reasons. I do not like the humidity, everything is becoming really expensive and mostly my taxes on my house are going up. I do not see myself being able to afford my house in about 5 years due to the taxes going up. I would stay but the surrounding areas are just as bad.

I have never been to Colorado but we are planning a trip in maybe May or June to check it out. Our son is going to be 2 in July so I am also looking to move before he actual starts school which gives me a couple years.

Anyone with tips or places to check out or to live? Ive brought up other places to live and Colorado seems to be the place me and my wife can agree on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
I've lived here in CO for the last 32 years. IMO, it is one of the very best places to raise a family, especially if you are an active family. However, it is very quickly becoming inaccessible to most people due to the influx of people wanting to live here, lack of available housing, and increase in home values. I'd recommend renting for a year to get a good feel for where you want to be and allow home prices to possible settle a bit- but not likely as CO is predicted to be in the top 5 housing markets for the next 5-10 years. As an ex- we bought our house in 2010 for $350k and just appraised for $625k.

Areas I would recommend looking:
Littleton- Pros: highly popular for people that love easy access to downtown Denver, great schools, active (easy access to lakes and mtns), low crime, and various options for social life
Cons: pretty "white" and not a lot of diversity, housing is difficult to find, food scene is lacking

Centennial and surrounding Lonetree, Highlands Ranch, Greenwood Village- Pros: great schools, low crime, easy DTC access, very family oriented
Cons: shortage of affordable housing (<$500k), commute into Denver, very suburban

Ft Collins- Pros: very active, younger, college town, more affordable housing, good schools, low crime
Cons: college town, "slower" lifestyle, pretty suburban, relative lack of employment options depending on industry

Many other places to check out depending on needs, but these are the areas that immediately come to mind.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
If you end up liking CO, give Idaho some consideration as well. Boise, in particular, has a Denver vibe without the Denver pricing. Good friends of mine uprooted from Denver to Boise to raise their kids and for more affordable housing...they absolutely love it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man! Yea we are not going to colorado anymore but my wife did mention Idaho so maybe we will add that on our list :thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts