VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
this new format is terrible. i agree with making an option to view as the old format, if that's possible.

the biggest issue i have is this, and i'm sure a few other people have noticed this-
is there a way to change the number of posts per page in a thread? the old format was 25 posts per page and this new one is 20 posts per page. i have a certain 120-page thread (now shows as 150 pages) saved in which i had a bunch of individual pages opened in separate browser tabs with relevant info on them and now all that info is lost among the pages again since the post count is different now. i don't really feel like spending another 2 weeks going through each page in that thread to find all the individual posts again. (n)

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
There isn't currently an option to change the number of posts per page as the site is optimized for 20.

There are some things you can do moving forward though.

As you find posts that are important to you, you can bookmark them within the platform.

How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts

This is a great option for those times when you want to save a thread to come back to later. At the bottom of the post, you will see “save”. Click on it.

Once you click on it you can add any notes to remind yourself and then simply click to save.

When you are ready to find the saved bookmarks again later, from the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar to open the drop-down menu and select “bookmarks”.

You can also search within a thread.

How To Search The Site

Near the top of the community, you will see a search bar.

Enter a search term or phrase and click enter on your keyboard or click the magnifying glass.

Advanced Search

To narrow down search results, click on “Advanced Search” after clicking the search bar.

This will allow you to choose to search titles only, add the member username who posted it or even select a specific forum to search from.

Enter your search criteria and click “Search “ at the bottom.

You can also access advanced search by clicking the 3 vertical dots near the upper right-hand corner of the site and selecting “Advanced “Search”

Search Specific Forum

If you want to search a specific section, navigate to the forum section before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.

Search Specific Discussion Thread

If you want to search a specific discussion thread, navigate to it before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.

- Cricket

·
Registered
5 Posts
There isn't currently an option to change the number of posts per page as the site is optimized for 20.

There are some things you can do moving forward though.

As you find posts that are important to you, you can bookmark them within the platform.
thanks for the reply.
so what you're saying basically is i'm going to have to read through 150 pages again to find the posts i'm looking for. awesome.
wish i knew the post count per page was changing, i would have saved everything already then. oh well i guess.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How To Search The Site
Near the top of the community, you will see a search bar.
Enter a search term or phrase and click enter on your keyboard or click the magnifying glass.
Advanced Search
To narrow down search results, click on “Advanced Search” after clicking the search bar.
This will allow you to choose to search titles only, add the member username who posted it or even select a specific forum to search from.
Enter your search criteria and click “Search “ at the bottom.
You can also access advanced search by clicking the 3 vertical dots near the upper right-hand corner of the site and selecting “Advanced “Search”
Search Specific Forum
If you want to search a specific section, navigate to the forum section before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.
Search Specific Discussion Thread
If you want to search a specific discussion thread, navigate to it before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.
- Cricket
OK, but the ability to save a search has been lost with the new format. Saving a search is useful when you're looking for a particular item in the for-sale section and you want to run the search several times a day to find new ads. That's no longer an option.

Bling is fine but not when you sacrifice functionality. D+ for this mess.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Same for me. No more notifications for followed threads, new posts in Classifieds, or of new Conversation posts. Doesn't seem to be my settings, I have them turned on for Followed content, and I can't even find a place to specify for Conversations.
I'm glad it isn't only me.

I also have the same problem with the "other Mk7 Golf" forum...and, pretty much any forum that uses this XenForo software. No problems with any of the forums I use that are still on the older types of software.

Ironic aside...this particular thread seems to be about the only one that will periodically send me notifications. Oh, and I did start getting dozens of notifications every time VW corporate posted some PR blurb...had to unsubscribe from that one. So, yeah, not very happy with this update. Lucky for them its only two of us, huh?

·
Registered
18,550 Posts
OK, but the ability to save a search has been lost with the new format. Saving a search is useful when you're looking for a particular item in the for-sale section and you want to run the search several times a day to find new ads. That's no longer an option.

Bling is fine but not when you sacrifice functionality. D+ for this mess.
FWIW, when you perform any search it creates a URL that you can bookmark in the browser, or if on PC drag to shortcut on your desktop. I have a vague recollection that the old forum used HTTP POST instead of GET for searches which meant you couldn't see or save the search URL this way.

·
Registered
18,550 Posts
Looks like they got rid of all that useless vertical white space on the left and right sides so now there's more content in the middle.

[edit]Only works when the browser window is maximized. I don't think I've ever seen that kind of behavior before. If the window is anything less than maximized, then they go back to wasting more than 1/3rd of the total real-estate on useless white space. Weird.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is there a way to stop that orange band from racing from left to right across the top of the window, and to suppress the pulsing vertical bars in the upper right?

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Is there a way to stop that orange band from racing from left to right across the top of the window, and to suppress the pulsing vertical bars in the upper right?
  • What device are you using to access the site? Computer? Tablet? Phone?
  • Which operating system are you using? (Windows 10, etc.)
  • Which browser are you using? (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE, etc.)
  • Have you already tried clearing your cookies/cache?
- Cricket

·
Registered
8 Posts
  • What device are you using to access the site? Computer? Tablet? Phone?
  • Which operating system are you using? (Windows 10, etc.)
  • Which browser are you using? (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE, etc.)
  • Have you already tried clearing your cookies/cache?
- Cricket
Thanks for your reply. I see the unwanted animation using a computer running MacOS 10.11.6 and Safari 11.11.1. I have not tried any cookie/cache clearing. I do not see it using other browsers and operating systems.

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Thanks for your reply. I see the unwanted animation using a computer running MacOS 10.11.6 and Safari 11.11.1. I have not tried any cookie/cache clearing. I do not see it using other browsers and operating systems.
I have noticed some quirks when I use Safari. I will keep monitoring to see if I can help track it down.

I would try clearing the browser cache to see if it might help.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Perfect case of if it ain't broken don't fix it. The way threads are monitored as "read" is different than before. After every single visit I have to remember to click the "Mark All Read" otherwise the next visit I still see things I never clicked on, even if I have 0 interest in them. Before when your "session" timed out everything would automatically be marked as read and on your subsequent visit you'd only see truly new posts since your last visit to the site. Not since your last visit to that particular thread, which might as well be NEVER because you're not interested in it.

·
Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,007 Posts
Ever since the upgrade, it seems TONS of new members are joining and bumping 10-15 year old threads. See the Golf Mk3 forum as an example. Find any post dated 2006, and see the last few replies. Accounts with one or two posts, joined a month ago, adding gibberish replies to old posts. Seems like a spam bot has figured out how to use the software... for what purpose, who knows.

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
How To Report a Post

Click on the 3 vertical dots to the far right of the time stamp. Select Report from the drop-down.

Add your reason for the report to the popup and click Report when you are done.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
How To Mark Forums Read

If you want to mark a specific forum as read, navigate to that forum. At the top you will see a button to “Mark All Read.

If you want to mark all threads in the community as read, click on NEW near the upper right-hand corners of the site.

Click on Mark All Read.

You will then see a popup confirming that this is what you want to do. Click “Mark All Read”.

- Cricket

·
Registered
307 Posts
Is there any way to increase the difference between an Unread & a Read post ? I am having so much trouble seeing the difference, dark mode or normal, I feel like giving up & not bothering.

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Is there any way to increase the difference between an Unread & a Read post ? I am having so much trouble seeing the difference, dark mode or normal, I feel like giving up & not bothering.
I will definitely pass on your feedback to the developers.

If you are using NEW, by default, all of the posts are unread.

How To Find New Posts

Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts.

On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics. You can also mark all as read.
- Cricket

·
Registered
46 Posts
...I recommend switching view mode if you think things aren't looking the way you like. If none of those suit your style let me know. I personally prefer light mode in cardview, but I know others that like the tightness of comfort view, or the comfort of dark view.

-Gerrit
What happened to the option to switch view modes?

Why was comfort view removed?

I'm not a fan of card view.

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
What happened to the option to switch view modes?

Why was comfort view removed?

I'm not a fan of card view.
This change was communicated in the release notes which should be going out very shortly. Note only .5% or 1 out of every 200 users was using the "Comfort View"This will also allow us to focus on improvements to "Card View" which should also help expedite our rollouts as we will not have to support two formats. Both Light and Dark modes will still be available on "Card View" indefinitely.Let us know if you have any questions.

- Cricket

·
Registered
307 Posts
I will definitely pass on your feedback to the developers.

If you are using NEW, by default, all of the posts are unread.

How To Find New Posts

Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts.

On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics. You can also mark all as read.
- Cricket
Doesn’t really answer the question though does it.

I’ll assume it’s a No then.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.