VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
493 Posts
Wow that looks bad... some kind of a fuel fire it looks like in that picture. Any more details on this? A coworker just mentioned something about I-95 being shut down. That is real bad news for anyone commuting. I'm sure we'll hear about it on tonight's news.

· Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (busyman)

Tanker Truck Accident Starts Fire on I-95
Updated: Tuesday, Jan. 13, 2004 - 3:49 PM
LINTHICUM -- An accident involving a tanker truck started a fire that's burning along Interstate 95 south of Baltimore.
The State Highway Administration says I-95 is closed in both directions at Interstate 195, about six miles south of Baltimore. Highway crews are working on setting up a detour.
WTOP traffic reporter Bob Marbourg says the truck crashed down from a ramp directly above Interstate 95. The truck crashed onto the northbound lanes and exploded, leaving a thick, white cloud of smoke.
"For the most part, the fire has been suppressed, but the roadway is still blocked and will likely stay that way for hours and hours to come."
Kellie Boulware, a spokeswoman with the Maryland Highway Administration, said she didn't know how many vehicles were involved in the accident.
"From reports that we've heard, there is a big, black cloud of smoke that's kind of hovering above the scene, so it is fairly serious out there," she said.
Boulware did not know the cause of the collision.
"We're at the point where we are working on emergency response right now," Boulware said. "Then we'll worry about the cause at a later date."
The SHA says the accident involved multiple vehicles and was reported just before 3 p.m.
(Copyright 2004 by WTOP Radio and The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

· Registered
5,653 Posts
Re: Commuter nightmare for NOVA/MD/DC - Accident on I-95 (sucking chest wound)

Quote, originally posted by sucking chest wound »
I-95 in NOVA/MD/DC shut DOWN. Initial reports describe 21,000 Dodge Durangos piled up at exit 9. Any more info?

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

G

·
Re: Commuter nightmare for NOVA/MD/DC - Accident on I-95 (sg207ptg)

Thanks for the traffic update...I'll be sure to leave extra early for my racquetball game now.

· Registered
2,058 Posts

And just like every other traffic accident that occurs in this area, this one will no doubt manage to slow down my commute on the westbound Dulles Toll Road this evening, despite being some 40 miles away

Still closed at 5pm

Modified by addicted2vw at 4:54 PM 1-13-2004

· Banned
1,733 Posts
Re: Commuter nightmare for NOVA/MD/DC - Accident on I-95 (sucking chest wound)

Quote, originally posted by sucking chest wound »
I-95 in NOVA/MD/DC shut DOWN. Initial reports describe 21,000 Dodge Durangos piled up at exit 9. Any more info?

Yeah, they're piled up on top of 68,523 green Ford Explorers, 23,584 Tahoes, and 44,359 Civics. Something about how all of these people instantly realized that, much like their own vehicle, every other one around them had an "OBX" sticker on it.

· Registered
850 Posts
Re: Commuter nightmare for NOVA/MD/DC - Accident on I-95 (Phobia)

95 NB is backed up to the DC Beltway, and every other NB route is bumper to bumper.
Sod that, I'm leaving my car in Greenbelt for the night and taking the train.

· Registered
Corolla Hatchback
8,995 Posts
Re: Commuter nightmare for NOVA/MD/DC - Accident on I-95 (Phobia)

Quote, originally posted by Phobia »

every other one around them had an "OBX" sticker on it.

I've been in Wyoming since June and haven't seen an OBX sticker in 7 months. I love it! Oh well, April isn't far away, I'll get my share when I get back.

· Registered
10,107 Posts
Re: Commuter nightmare for NOVA/MD/DC - Accident on I-95 (iamnotemo)

So that's why Route 1 southbound was so backed up.

Lucky me, I don't have to take anymore southbound routes to get home! Exit the post at Telegraph Road and it's 5 minutes to my house! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
7,462 Posts

A slideshow from the NBC-4 Chopper
Quote, originally posted by The Washington Post »
Four Killed in Fiery I-95 Crash
Highway Shut Down Near BWI, Backing Up Traffic for Miles
By Phuong Ly and William Branigin
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, January 13, 2004; 6:24 PM
A tanker truck carrying a flammable liquid plunged off an overpass and landed on I-95 south of Baltimore today, sparking a huge fire that left at least four people dead and closed the busy highway in both directions, Maryland authorities said.

State officials said the accident involved two trucks -- the tanker truck and a tractor-trailer -- and two cars. The said the tanker truck went off the overpass and was either struck by the other truck or landed on top of it.

The drivers of all four vehicles were killed, authorities said. Investigators were trying to determine if other persons were in any of the vehicles. No one was transported to hospital from the scene for treatment.

The accident, which occurred shortly before 3 p.m. about six miles south of Baltimore, caused a huge fire that incinerated the tanker and the other vehicles, including the tractor trailer, and spread into the woods off the highway.

Motorists near the accident got out of their cars and ran away as the vehicles exploded after the crash, witnesses said.

Firefighters sprayed white foam over a wide area to bring the blaze under control.

Chuck Gischlar, a spokesman for the Maryland State Highway Administration, said the death toll could rise.

Gischlar advised motorists to delay their commutes or take a "radical detour" to avoid that part of I-95. Traffic in both directions backed up for miles on either side of the accident.

Marc Bashoor, a spokesman for the Prince George's County fire department, said it could be hours before the highway is reopened. Some officials said the northbound lanes may not be reopened until tomorrow.

Officials at the scene of the crash said engineers were evaluating the road surface and the structure of the overpass.

Investigators from the Maryland Department of the Environment were also checking to see whether any hazardous substance leaked into nearby streams. They said that judging by the size of the fire and the condition of the tanker truck, they believe that most of the flammable liquid burned. It was not immediately know how much flammable liquid the tanker contained or exactly what the liquid was. One official said it was "probably a petroleum product."

The tanker truck was traveling on an overpass leading to the southbound lanes of I-95 when it crashed through a barrier and landed on the northbound lanes of the highway, authorities said.

A spokesman for the Maryland State Police, Sgt. Thornnie Rouse, said the driver of the truck lost control and hit a utility pole, then went off the I-895 overpass.

What caused the driver to lose control was not immediately known.

The crash created a fireball that could be seen from Baltimore-Washington International Airport. It left charred grass and woods on the side of the road after firefighters put out the blaze.

Vehicles involved in the crash continued to smolder as firefighters worked on one car, apparently trying to extract victims, television news footage shot from a helicopter showed.

The accident occurred at the I-895 overpass, at the border of Howard and Baltimore counties near the town of Elkridge.

William Mould, a spokesman for the Howard County fire department, said the crash caused a four-alarm fire that burned for nearly an hour and involved hazardous materials.

Officials at nearby BWI airport said that the airport continued to operate normally and that flights were on schedule. They said some BWI fire and rescue personnel were among at least 100 rescue workers and highway employees who responded to the scene.

Staff writers Christian Davenport, Matthew Mosk, Ylan Mui and Mary Otto contributed to this report.

Modified by jddaigle at 4:38 PM 1-13-2004

· Registered
13,782 Posts
Re: Commuter nightmare for NOVA/MD/DC - Accident on I-95 (jddaigle)

I was commuting to DC on 495 a few weekends ago before Christmas and traffic was bumper to bumper on a Saturday morning well before noon. I can't begin to fathom this much traffic.
Here's hoping no one was seriously hurt.

· Registered
870 Posts
Re: Commuter nightmare for NOVA/MD/DC - Accident on I-95 (NBracer8)

And my parents chose today to drive from CT to visit my brother in DC... They just got to his place now according to his away message, don't know how much of the traffic they hit but my dad is pretty handy with improvised detours.
-slug

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.