VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"If a car's not coming, that means you can [walk a]cross - even if the light's red and the don't walk sign is up. If you're a driver, you use the horn to express your frustrations. Never mind that it makes absolutely no difference in your traffic progress. If pedestrians are on the street, it's okay to proceed so long as you don't run over anyone."

http://www.lacar.com/modules.p...d=302

·
Registered
621 Posts
Re: Comparing NYC drivers & pedestrians with LA drivers & pedestrians (Arroyo)

Driving in NYC is like going into battle. You need to tie up loose parts of your car, and gather your courage because NYC Taxi drivers are like the Titan's defensive line, when your goin slow they'll either swarm around you, or run you off the road. There are two kinds of pedestrians in NYC. The ones that live there and KNOW how to cross streets with red lights and crosswalks, and the ones that are tourists who have no idea how to safely navigate a red light situation (usually you can spot these people by their sunglasses, flat brim hats and the Cannon or Nikon SLR camera strapped around their necks and their constant glances upward and bumping into things...
As for LA I have no clue lol

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Re: Comparing NYC drivers & pedestrians with LA drivers & pedestrians (E30325i)

you should include the contrast between the opposite car/pedestrian relationships in NYC and Boston...
In NYC, people follow physics: - - if a car is coming, you wait on the sidewalk, or cross at your own risk, assuming the 3600lb car at 50mph isn't gonna slow down. It's a lot easier for the 175lb person at 3mph to alter their course. (I'm a big fan of this practice)

In Boston, people follow the law: - - the law says that a car must yield to pedestrian traffic, so pedestrians have no qualms about jumping out into the road in front of a 3600lb car at 50mph... They disregard the fact that in some situations, regardless of what the law says - - it's DANGEROUS to assume the 3600lb car at 50mph can alter its course!
(I think many of these people DESERVE to be pegged by a car)

people accustomed to NYC driving nearly mow down pedestrians in Boston frequently....

·
Banned
6,574 Posts
Re: Comparing NYC drivers & pedestrians with LA drivers & pedestrians (E30325i)

my only issue w/driving in manhattan is the moon like road surfaces. it's really really bad.
other than that it's fun. except for parking. that's a b!tch.

·
Registered
22,855 Posts
Re: Comparing NYC drivers & pedestrians with LA drivers & pedestrians (Arroyo)

Driving in NYC, which I've had for years is like Rallying. You have to know the streets and terrains really well.
Then it is about timing and which path you can take to navigate around congestion and avoid trouble spots.
Madison ave for example, once you get into the right timing, the light keeps changing green as you go down on it at the right time.
All the tourists and visitors like to take the big streets and congesting on the tunnel main entrances, so learn where the shortcuts and side entrances are.
When it comes to Taxis, you have to get a quick jump on them and know where they are behind you because it's like racing, when they see you got an opening, they will quickly pull on you and get in front so they have better position to pickup a customer. It can be quite annoying when you're driving and they block your path because some lady is getting on the taxi.
Biggest thing to watch for are the crazy jay-walkers on the west side and bike messengers, especially those they are driving on big mountain bikes with helmet and body armor.
Night time is the best time to drive in the city, also most dangerous because many people race on the west side highway, it's like a F1 race track with the tall dividers and walls.
If you don't have good reaction time and good knowledge of NYC streets, you better off walking and taking the subway.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Re: Comparing NYC drivers & pedestrians with LA drivers & pedestrians (rx7racr)

Quote, originally posted by rx7racr »

In Boston, people follow the law: - - the law says that a car must yield to pedestrian traffic, so pedestrians have no qualms about jumping out into the road in front of a 3600lb car at 50mph... They disregard the fact that in some situations, regardless of what the law says - - it's DANGEROUS to assume the 3600lb car at 50mph can alter its course!
(I think many of these people DESERVE to be pegged by a car)

Jaywalkers who jump out in front of vehicles DESERVE to get mowed down, regardless of what the laws are. It happens in Vancouver all the time and I'm f-ing sick of it. I'm sick of jaywalkers with no regard to anyone but themselves. I'm sick of jaywalkers who don't f-ing LOOK! before they cross!
If you jaywalk and get pegged off by a car who can't stop because you were too dumb to LOOK before you crossed, well then, you got what you deserved. I have no sympathy for you.
*flame suit on*

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Re: Comparing NYC drivers & pedestrians with LA drivers & pedestrians (Spell Check Desk)

Quote, originally posted by Spell Check Desk »

Jaywalkers who jump out in front of vehicles DESERVE to get mowed down, regardless of what the laws are. It happens in Vancouver all the time and I'm f-ing sick of it. I'm sick of jaywalkers with no regard to anyone but themselves. I'm sick of jaywalkers who don't f-ing LOOK! before they cross!
If you jaywalk and get pegged off by a car who can't stop because you were too dumb to LOOK before you crossed, well then, you got what you deserved. I have no sympathy for you.
*flame suit on*

Hey, I totally understand this logic. But think about what would happen if the laws were the other way around. In India, for example, the CAR has right of way. There are SO many pedestrians that it sort of is required if a car is to make any progress at all. But some motorists, who are often richer than most are like "oh they're poor and I'm rich. it's great." and will actually speed up. Most of the time, it ends up being a close call and an insult to the pedestrian, but I think that being run-over must happen frequently. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
As much as sensible people may not have this issue, for many being behind the wheel makes them feel invincible.
Go to a crowded, economically polarized third-world country and maybe you might feel differently.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Re: Comparing NYC drivers & pedestrians with LA drivers & pedestrians (HerrGolf)

Quote, originally posted by HerrGolf »

Hey, I totally understand this logic. But think about what would happen if the laws were the other way around. In India, for example, the CAR has right of way. There are SO many pedestrians that it sort of is required if a car is to make any progress at all. But some motorists, who are often richer than most are like "oh they're poor and I'm rich. it's great." and will actually speed up. Most of the time, it ends up being a close call and an insult to the pedestrian, but I think that being run-over must happen frequently. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
As much as sensible people may not have this issue, for many being behind the wheel makes them feel invincible.
Go to a crowded, economically polarized third-world country and maybe you might feel differently.

If thgey had specified crosswalks, then the pedestrians could use those. I don't have an issue with pedestrians using marked crosswalks. It's the jaywalkers that have no regards for anyone but themselves I have an issue with. And the jaywalking mothers with strollers that blatantly cross busy streets without looking make me even angrier.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Re: Comparing NYC drivers & pedestrians with LA drivers & pedestrians (HerrGolf)

Jay-walking is as Bostonian as pahking the car. Usually it's not much of an issue, though, as Boston is nowhere near as congested as NYC. (Thank God!)

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Re: Comparing NYC drivers & pedestrians with LA drivers & pedestrians (Spell Check Desk)

They do have specified cross-walks a lot of the time. People still don't care (and neither do the motorists).

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

I was damn near ridiculed for crossing crosswalks despite the sign not saying 'walk' or w/e they say. People in LA will sit and wait for however long it takes for that magical box to give them permission to cross the street. Everyone I was hanging out w/ out there thought I was crazy. No cars and I'm walking, I'm from the east coast we are always in a hurry even when we have no where to go.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Re: Comparing NYC drivers & pedestrians with LA drivers & pedestrians (EK_CTR)

After living in California and driving in LA traffic, and just being in NY traffic a few weeks ago there is NO comparison. NYC traffic is about 100X's worse then any traffic in LA. I thought that I was going to get rear ended, t-boned, ran off what little street lane I had, or hit a person walking within the 3 blocks and 3 hours it took to get to our hotel...
I'd take LA traffic over NY traffic any day of the week!

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Re: Comparing NYC drivers & pedestrians with LA drivers & pedestrians (VeeDubChick03)

Quote, originally posted by VeeDubChick03 »
After living in California and driving in LA traffic, and just being in NY traffic a few weeks ago there is NO comparison. NYC traffic is about 100X's worse then any traffic in LA. I thought that I was going to get rear ended, t-boned, ran off what little street lane I had, or hit a person walking within the 3 blocks and 3 hours it took to get to our hotel...
I'd take LA traffic over NY traffic any day of the week!

New York is not for everyone

Although I have to admit, after riding in cars in the city for years, when I first drove a car, I almost pissed myself. But you get used to it so quickly and then when you drive elsewhere, you feel out of place (not to mention that other drivers think you're an *******).

·
Banned
32,385 Posts
Re: Comparing NYC drivers & pedestrians with LA drivers & pedestrians (EK_CTR)

Vegas has the highest car/pedestrian death rate in the country....
I swear, when people get here they loose there f'n minds!??

Almost every major intersection in the Strip corridor has an elevated crosswalk costing $4M....
those intersections that don't are OPEN SEASON!!!

I'm of the mindset...the sign flashed red for 20 seconds "DON'T WALK", then spent another 10 seconds solid "DON'T WALK", so if you're dumb enought to try to cross a 150 ft wide 8 lane intersection with buses block other car views, your ass is mine!
BTW-Cops will give $75 jay-walking tickets due to the high deth rate....very rarely is it the fault of the motorist....dumbass jay-walkers !!! http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
22,855 Posts
Re: Comparing NYC drivers & pedestrians with LA drivers & pedestrians (VeeDubChick03)

But I rather sit in traffic on the 3 lane Belt Pkway than sitting in traffic on a 6 lane highway in LA.
LA highway traffic is the worst I ever seen.. Takes 2 hrs just to move 25 miles.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Re: Comparing NYC drivers & pedestrians with LA drivers & pedestrians (Vision33r)

Quote, originally posted by Vision33r »

LA highway traffic is the worst I ever seen.. Takes 2 hrs just to move 25 miles.

miles? we arent talking miles here. we are talkin' city blocks. in NYC it takes 2 hours to move 20 blocks at some points in the day. LA is a cake walk compared to NYC. LA does have that weird "its 2am and the freeway is completely jammed" thing going for it though.

·
Registered
22,855 Posts
Re: Comparing NYC drivers & pedestrians with LA drivers & pedestrians (NoLongerLow)

Quote, originally posted by NoLongerLow »

miles? we arent talking miles here. we are talkin' city blocks. in NYC it takes 2 hours to move 20 blocks at some points in the day. LA is a cake walk compared to NYC. LA does have that weird "its 2am and the freeway is completely jammed" thing going for it though.

In manhattan, congestion only happens mostly workdays and sections of the city. I never seen a jam on 2rd or 3rd ave.
I can get stuck in NYC for 1 hr but I can always park the car and say hell with it and take the subway... say byebye to high gas prices...

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Re: Comparing NYC drivers & pedestrians with LA drivers & pedestrians (Vision33r)

Quote, originally posted by Vision33r »

Night time is the best time to drive in the city, also most dangerous because many people race on the west side highway, it's like a F1 race track with the tall dividers and walls.

this is true...Im one of those F1 drivers

·
Registered
621 Posts
Re: Comparing NYC drivers & pedestrians with LA ... (NoLongerLow)

Quote, originally posted by NoLongerLow »

Its called walk/bus/subway/taxi. besides the colorful people of nyc are amusing...esp on the bowery at night

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.