VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Registered
12,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to make a thread that had a more searchable title that had all the part numbers for doing a OEM noise pipe delete.
It took me more time than it should have to find this info, so hopefully this helps someone else find it faster. Throw away your noise pipe and kill some turbo lag in the process. And that nasal sounding drone that the noise maker makes, what garbage!

To do an OEM noise pipe delete, these are the only parts you need:
Non GLI/GTI Firewall gasket (You'll need both pieces pictured on the left)-
1K0-971-866-A
(Firewall Gasket)
1K0-971-865-A (Firewall Gasket Clip)

Throttle Pipe/Intercooler Pipe (2.0FSI, A3) -
1K0-145-770-K

The dealership is the only place I know to get the firewall gasket parts. Each part of the firewall gasket is about $6 (so $12 total). The throttle pipe goes for about $80-$90 depending on where you get it (I haven't found anywhere cheaper than the dealership).
**FYI this non-noise, throttle-pipe comes in the A3, 2.0FSI Passat, 2.0FSI Jetta and all other 2.0FSI cars other than the GTI and Jetta GLI.

How to:
First disconnect the sensor that is attached to the throttle pipe. Then, take off the hose clamps at either end of the pipe. (A3 pipe shown in picture). Finally, there will be two bolts (T24, I do believe) that attach the pipe to the engine. I would show a photo, but it would require taking the whole front of the car off to get a clean picture.

The green area is the A3 Throttle pipe (Sorry I took the photos after the install).
The yellow is the sensor.
The red is the hose clamps.
The red arrows point to bolts and connectors that need to be removed
The yellow area points to a bolt that cannot be seen from this angle, that is underneath the throttle pipe.
Then, un-attach the noise pipe at these points. The point that connects it to the throttle pipe isn't visible from this angle.

I still do not have the old firewall gasket installed in this picture
Then have fun sticking your hand under the rain tray to remove the noise maker itself.
Once that is done, throw away that noise pipe, or save it for a diverter relocation project in the future.
Then attach your new throttle pipe where the old one came off.
Remove the old firewall gasket (move rain seal and tray out of the way and slide out), and replace with new, noise-pipe-free one.
Here's some pictures to help out with the firewall gasket. The pictures almost say it all.
First, get the parts together

Then remove the foam block on the left side of the rain tray, then pull rubber seal away from rain tray.

Remove the bolt that sits here (10mm if i remember correctly), pull it up enough to get to the firewall gasket.

It's easiest to rotate the old firewall gasket to get it free of the wiring harness.

Frisbee maybe?

Insert new firewall gasket in the reverse manner as you removed the old one.

Make sure to put your wiring harness back snugly into the slot.

Now, push the clip into place.

Oh Billy! Noise pipe free!

For those with questions, reply in this thread (it notifies me via email), you'll get a quicker answer than IM'ing me.

Modified by Twelvizm at 3:22 PM 9-21-2008

· Banned
'21 Kona EV, '21 Bolt
3,949 Posts
Re: Complete Noise Pipe Delete using A3 Throttle Pipe - Part Numbers Inside (Twelvizm)

I got the A3 pipe for $35 back in May of '06. I skipped the part that covers the firewall and just sealed it with a 2" rubber cap. Fake annoying performance robbing noise ftl. No matter how slight the effect, it shouldn't have been done!

· Registered
315 Posts
I can get them, but I've gotta go through the dealer, as they're the only ones in the country that have them. If I were to get them direct from Germany, I *might* be able to get them cheaper, but I'd need to order a couple of them at a time, and that'd take me a little while. I'd suggest looking for used ones, checking junkyards and calling your dealership, and seeing what they want for it

· Registered
12,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (jdematt07GTI)

It removes about 3 feet of un-needed pipe from the intake side of the engine. This decrease in air volume should result in less turbo lag/quicker throttle response. It also removes the horrid noise the noisemaker makes!

· Registered
12,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Complete Noise Pipe Delete using A3 Throttle Pipe - Part Numbers Inside (teriba)

Quote, originally posted by teriba »
http://www.parts4vws.com/catal...5770K
Does this include everything needed or is it missing the second, smaller gasket piece?

It still needs the small piece of the gasket. 1KO-971-865-A (Firewall Gasket Clip)

Modified by Twelvizm at 12:11 PM 3-16-2008

· Registered
2,649 Posts
Re: Complete Noise Pipe Delete using A3 Throttle Pipe - Part Numbers Inside (Twelvizm)

i replaced mine with the EJ stage 1 pipe; removing the radiator fans made it 20x times easier to remove the old and install the new pipe.

· Registered
12,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Complete Noise Pipe Delete using A3 Throttle Pipe - Part Numbers Inside (ajz9415)

Quote, originally posted by ajz9415 »
I would buy a kit it if came with all needed parts

Who needs a kit? Take those three part numbers to the VW dealership, and that's your kit.

· Registered
2,032 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Twelvizm »

The throttle pipe goes for about $80-$90 depending on where you get it (I haven't found anywhere cheaper than the dealership).

FWIW, 1stvwparts.com has the throttle pipe for $70.
Save yourself a trip to the dealer.

· Registered
12,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (scotaku)

This thread is stickied in the 2.0FSI Forum FAQ/DIY.
Great place when you want to read about the more technical aspects of the MKV and not just what wheels will look good.

· Registered
3,659 Posts
Re: (Ducky 2.0T)

Quote, originally posted by Ducky 2.0T »
I just contacted Bud about these parts and his prices are always the best. I will be ordering mine through him http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

absolutely ducky let me know the cost when u order please

· Registered
3,495 Posts
Re: (Twelvizm)

Quote, originally posted by Twelvizm »
This thread is stickied in the 2.0FSI Forum FAQ/DIY.
Great place when you want to read about the more technical aspects of the MKV and not just what wheels will look good.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
When you read me posting in wheel threads, it is almost always advising against the haphazard 'will this fit' advice with useful tools and actual experience.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.