VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some background. I have had the car for about 18 months. I have had engine vibrations for the last 6 or so after the car set for about 4 months. Recently I went to replace the manifold to downpipe gasket due to an exhaust leak and a stud broke. I figured that since the stud needed to be fixed I would go ahead and put a gasket set on the top end. So I did the head gasket, valve stem seals, valve cover gasket and whatnot. Now here is the deal. After I did that the vibrations smoothed out a bit until last week when they came back full force. I now have smoke coming from the breather, the thick white type and I have the following compression
150 - 60 - 150 - 150
So any ideas? I'm going to take it to get a leakdown done on it since I don't have the tools for it. TIA
Tim

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Compression Test Results NEED SOME HELP (definity512)

Yeah thats what I was thinking.... but at the same time I want to make sure.
freaking corrado's. lol

·
Registered
323 Posts

Quote, originally posted by definity512 »
Yeah thats what I was thinking.... but at the same time I want to make sure.
freaking corrado's. lol
i had the same problem, the cast in between the rings broke, and the oiler ring also fell apart........... i'll bet you got alot of blow-by

·
Registered
16,128 Posts

Quote, originally posted by definity512 »
I now have smoke coming from the breather, the thick white type and I have the following compression
150 - 60 - 150 - 150
So any ideas? I'm going to take it to get a leakdown done on it since I don't have the tools for it. TIA
Tim

Save your money, don't do a leakdown test. Yank the head and and look at the #2 Cylinder. Its either a piston, bore or something obvious with the head.

787 Posts
Re: Compression Test Results NEED SOME HELP (G60ING)

Quote, originally posted by G60ING »
Save your money, don't do a leakdown test. Yank the head and and look at the #2 Cylinder. Its either a piston, bore or something obvious with the head.

Yeah that's what I did and it was my #2 Piston was Burnt to hell and crispy and so were the corresponding valves

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: Compression Test Results NEED SOME HELP (xxBlack_Heart_Valentinexx)

no kidding take some pics and post them i haven't seen a melted exhaust valve before.

787 Posts
Re: Compression Test Results NEED SOME HELP (mrkrad)

no prob, I'll take pics in the morning http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif the piston looks like I used it as charcoal for a BBQ. I am gonna strip that shortblock and rebuild it with forged stuff and use it later on

1 - 8 of 8 Posts